Only Genuine Hyundai Parts??

I have been battling with the oxygen sensors on our 99 Accent for over a year now. Replaced one, was told other needed replacement. Replaced that and was told first one was fried. Was driving me nuts since gas milage was getting worse as was pick up. So after 4 trips to the mechanic I was told by the "new" mechanic(not my choice of people to have working on my vehicle) that the problem is that Hyundai's need GENUINE Hyundai parts for repair and one can not use generic parts like oxygen sensors for both bank 1 and bank 2.

If this is the case then WHY do they sell these parts for use in Hyundai's? Or is my gut feeling right on this and the slug is scamming me and my family?

Reply to
FullCircleEquine

That sounds like a load of hooey in general. Having said that, there are some who say that certain brands are better than others. For example, there is a person who frequents the Chrysler newsgroup who says that Bosch O2 sensors are known for not working well in Chrysler products. However, I replaced the sensor in my 89 Acclaim with a Bosch brand and it worked fine.

I'm about 100% certain that Hyundai doesn't make their own sensors. What I don't know is who they buy them from. If you could find out, you could likely buy the same brand somewhere else.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Supposedly he has ordered the "genuine" O2 sensors to the tune of $225.

He has already gotten us for over $200 in labor for the last two times he "worked" on the car. I can only begin to imagine how much he is going to soak us for this time. My mothers husband is friends with the mechanic doing the work and said he is taking the word of the slug. I think that something else is fouling the sensors. The car is a 99 with just now tipping 70k.

Reply to
OTTB Owner

It might be different with newer models so take this with a grain of salt. Two years ago I replaced the O2 sensor in my wife's 1991 Scoupe before getting my emission test done. I checked around and found I was looking at something like $92 or $105 or something like that (Canadian $$) from the dealer. Called up the local Carquest Auto Parts Shop and they carried a replacement for $38. The only thing about this third party replacement was that I had to solder the wires into the plug myself (not a hard task for me since electronics is my line of work and I solder all the time). So, $38 for the sensor and $4.99 for the O2 sensor socket and I was off to the races. The car breezed through the emission test, my wife was wondering where all the extra get up and go came from and it was still working great until my son wrote off the car this past Feb. Like I say, it may be different for newer Hyundais but that is my experience with an older car and a third party sensor.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Any statement that Hyundais need GENUINE HYUNDAI parts to operate correctly is bunk.

That said, I fully support the use of Genuine Hyundai parts. I believe in most cases they're superior to parts generally available.

In your particular case, there are a few possibilities. First, the technician may not be diagnosing the problem correctly. Second, the parts uses in the original repair may not be of good quality. Places with low prices often achieve this by using the lowest priced parts they can find. Many times, these inexpensive parts are not of the best quality.

Here's a question for you. Do you have an exhaust leak?

Reply to
hyundaitech

"GENUINE Hyundai parts" is nonsense, Given that, not all aftermarket parts are created equal and sometimes aftermarket parts use a generalized design to cover more applications and may not hit the mark for specific ones.

I had the same issue with a VW O2 sensor, my independent had bad experiences with some after market brands. Not all.

gerry

Reply to
gerry