Opinions on Hyundai Sonata 2008 or 2007

Page 1 of 2
Hi all, I am thinking about buying a Sonata 2008. Nice body style! Has anyone bought one from last year since the body style doesn't look like it changed from 2007 to 2008. Any issues with the car and quality? I
remember Hyundai years ago and all my relatives and friends avoided Hyundai because of reliability. My family always bought Toyota or Honda in the past. How is the Sonata now? Heard it was a 10yr/100k powertrain warranty. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I bought a 2007 SE at year end. I test drove the 2007 and 2008. My dealership claims Hyundai tightened the suspension a bit but I didn't notice any difference. AFAIK, there's no mechanical or sheet metal difference. XM radio appears to be standard for 2008 and there are different color choices.
It's the best mid-sized car I've owned. The V6 should be outlawed. It's so powerful and responsive that you have to be careful or you'll be paying tickets : ) Great car!
Had three Sonatas since '99, they have improved build quality each time. All of them have had tall gearing which suits Australia fine as you can sit on 110 kph and engine is idling over at ~2200 rpm. On a longish trip I have got under 8 litres/100km!. Only reliabilty issue was on the 1st V6 each spark plug lead went crook about 2 months apart each and silly dealer insisted on taking off rear inlet manifolding each and every time rear leads went. For the cost of a new lead set it would have saved him and me a lot of time and money. I would definitely buy another. Another advantage is that Korea isnt killing whales for research like Japan. John

I,m being facetious regarding the "research"!!!!! John

John wrote:

No, you are being stupid.
Thanks for the replies, especially about reliabilitiy. Are you guys happy with your gas mileage? At least on the V4 model that is. Did you guys get leather seats?

Got the heated leather. I also had the dealer put in a remote starter. When I park the car at night, I put the switch in the "on" position so it heats a few minutes before I get into the car. If you are in a cold climate, it is a good feature. After negotiating a deal, I made the remote starter the deal maker and they went for it.
On Feb 4, 1:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Hi, cobber here in oz we call the leather seat and bit upmarket model the Elite . Bloody thing is indestructible given what I and others throw at them on dirt roads and how we hammer them.
Still tight as a drum and no bits falling off (unlike the other 7 makes in the fleet) No dust inside every thing "just works" Come May we are ditching the holdens and falcons & camry's and going all Hyundai average fuel burn on the 4's is 8.12 litres per 100KM with air con going full blast . Turn off the emergency brake(the air con) we get on 1 vehicle 7.78 per 100KM
HOWEVER! tow a box trailer and it jumps to about 11

At least irrelevant to the current subject.
DonC wrote:

Which is stupid. :-)
John wrote:

Just can't resist injecting politics. Korea does equally egregious things as do most countries, Australia included.

My '07 Limited just hit 30,000 miles. It has been perfect, never back to the dealer for anything. I've done the oil changes as specified and last week put new wiper blades on it. Handles well, and overall is a good as any car I've owned. I'd not hesitate to buy another.

You may want to hold off another month as the 2009 goes on sale the end of Feb. and has some newer technology that increase HP and fuel economy. Styling isn't bad either. Check it out: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080204/FREE/466270696&SearchIDs307656122935
- Thee Chicago Wolf

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080204/FREE/466270696&SearchIDs307656122935
Man, that's the last thing the V6 needs --- 15 more HP. Next we'll here that somebody broke the 147mph landspeed record for the Sonata.
Kinda kidding but the 232HP the current V6 is incredible in the Sonata. They ought to add a 7 year/100,000 warranty that covers speeding tickets :)
The picture doesn't really show the styling changes, however.
DonC wrote:

Yes, Hyundai needs competitive fuel economy more than more power. My 4 cylinder is plenty powerful enough, but it should get 2-4 more MPG compared to other cars of similar size and power.
Matt

Agreed...my 07 Elantra should be getting 10MPG more in my opinion. The mileage is horrible. At least my 03 and 05 Elantras got fairly good mileage. (see my thread further down about mileage).
********* http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandIDx9610
On Feb 3, 12:43am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I bought a 2008 Sonata last month and the following has occurred: the passenger airbag disabled light keeps coming on even when there's nobody there. One of the trunk suspension air-shock cylinders failed. My passenger side back floor-board filled with water after a heavy rain.
The Dealer tried to send me away when I arrived for service. They said my warrenty didn't cover me. All of the problems are covered.
This is my first Hyundai and it will be my last.

I bought a 2008 Sonata last month and the following has occurred: the passenger airbag disabled light keeps coming on even when there's nobody there. One of the trunk suspension air-shock cylinders failed. My passenger side back floor-board filled with water after a heavy rain.
The Dealer tried to send me away when I arrived for service. They said my warrenty didn't cover me. All of the problems are covered.
This is my first Hyundai and it will be my last.
No way is this characteristic of a Sonata. Sounds like you got a lemon of a dealer. Everything IS covered --- unless you left your trunk open during that rainstorm.

nobody there. One of the trunk suspension air-shock cylinders failed. My passenger side back floor-board filled with water after a heavy rain.

Sorry to hear that. My Sonata will hit 31000 miles tomorrow and it has been perfect. Never been back to the dealer. If problems persist, check your state's lemon laws and also complain about the dealer. Those problems are covered and a reputable dealer will be happy to fix them for you.
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:24:58 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not my experience at all. I suggest that you call Hyundaiusa and ask to talk to the warranty department and tell them of your experience with the dealer.
Old_Timer