opinions on Tiburon?

I'm considering purchasing a 1998 Hyundai Tiburon with 77,000 miles. Consumer Reports has very little information on them.

Any opinions? If I purchase it should I be watching out for anything in particular?

Reply to
Grace Rohrer

Have done some repairs on one of a similar age, so far had the following happen after it was purchased with 58,000 on the clock (has

75,536 now).

Crankshaft sensor died, causes the car to start fine from cold, but will not start from hot until the car cooled down. Very annoying problem for short journeys & if you stall in traffic = nightmare.

Passanger side electric window winder cord de-railed itself, jammed the window open. Managed to fix it up by greasing the guides + wire, but it really needs to be replaced.

Driver side electric window winder cord snapped, had to replace the whole winder mechanism (not motor).

I hear the power steering pump bearings starting to wear badly, they'll need fixing soon, probably a new pump.

Have noticed an increase in oil consumption & water consumption, hope the head gasket is allright.

Clock (time) has erratic display, numbers flash on/off. Sometimes it's fine. It's a loose connection, but it's a mega job to take it out to fix or replace, so I'm leaving it until something else needs doing. Fitted a replacement radio that has time anyway.

I believe the crankshaft sensor + window winders are very common problems (seen here quite a lot), so look out for these.

Reply to
gorourke

I have a 97' Tiburon with a 1.8L and 5 speed and have no complaints. Have really only done scheduled maintainance and a couple of alternators. The alternators were expensive. The car is still on its original clutch and has 190,000+ on the odometer. Not nearly as much power as when it was bought but still has enough power to get me anywhere I have a mind to go.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

You can compare it to the 1996-2000 Elantra, and you can include 1997-2001 Tiburons in your search. They're very similar vehicles. The differences with the Elantra are pretty much stiffness of suspension, and body and trim.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Strike that, I just lost the clutch master cylinder on the car last night. Go figure. The original clutch still seems OK though. 2 dats to get a replacement from a local Hyundai dealer though, pathetic.

...Ron