Optional Tire Question

What am I gaining, or losing, by switching to the optional tire(225 50

17) from the standard (205 55 17) on my Sonata? I can get a better deal on the options. And would it be crazy to have two standard and 2 options on the car? Just wondering. Thanks.
Reply to
JR

JR, I think the standard size is 215 55 17 on the newer Sonata's. I have a 2006 with the 225 50 17's which was standard for that year and plan on going to the higher profile the next time I need new tires. It's my understanding that Hyundai went to the higher profile to try to get a smoother ride.

Reply to
Marc

215 55 17 is the standard tire on my 07. My understanding is that there might be a slight variation in RPM and/or MPH readings if I go with the optionals. However, I wonder if there is any real difference in performance, handling,etc.,? Maybe smoother ride with the 215/55 17? I did notice that some highly rated tires are not offered in the both sizes.
Reply to
JR

You're going to get a wider track with better dry traction and cornering capabilities. Perhaps less traction in deep water or snow. Diameter and circumference are close enough to the same to be inconsequential, so I doubt you'd have an issue with one size on the front and the other on the rear. Worst case scenario, the TCS system thinks there's a problem with the wheel speed senors, turning on the error lamp and turning off the TCS and ABS. Considering the difference is 0.1%, I cannot readily imagine this would happen.

Reply to
hyundaitech

. Seems like you would want to be very careful when rotating the different size tires to just switch them side to side and not front to back...?

Reply to
Victek

So you put the larger on the left or the right side?

I think you mean you keep the same size on the same axle. If you swap both front to back is OK, but don't mix on either axle.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

. Yes, that's what I meant - thanks!

Reply to
Victek

Thanks for the info. Now a tire question. Michelin Energy MXVS S8 are the original tires. However, I haven't read many good reviews about them (expensive and significant wear by 30-40K). Although I have reservations regarding Sam's Club, they have a good deal on Michilen Primacy MXVS tires. According to them, it is one of their "Best Sellers." Reviews, from several sources, seem favorable too. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. B.T.W. we live in Minnesota and average 10K yearly, but driving in deep snow and/or ice would not be a paramount concern. Average traction would be fine.

Reply to
JR

If Sam's has a good deal, I'd not hesitate. My original Michelin lasted 45K on the front, at 61k on the rear they will probably last another 40k, maybe more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The Primacy is Michelin's replacement for the Energy, which they no longer manufacture. It hasn't been around long enough for me to get a good idea about wear. Tread pattern is similar but not exactly the same. My suspicion is that wear will be similar. If you think the originals are wearing too soon, you may wish to investigate a tire with a better treadwear rating. As far as purchasing at Sam's Club, probably the worst thing that will happen is that the wheels may not get balanced correctly if the installer isn't properly trained or competent. Haven't seen the equipment or personnel, so I don't have much reason to believe it'll be any different than your typical tire store.

Reply to
hyundaitech