Overheating '99 Elantra

Out of the blue, the wife's Elantra started overheating. Can't find any apparent leaks. Pulled the thermostat and reconnected. Filled reservoir to normal level, and that didn't work, and the reservoir level remained unchanged. No oil in coolant, so I don't believe it's the head gasket. The only thing I can think of is there's a blockage, because both fans are operating normally, or it's the cap itself. Anyone with experience out there with similar problem? Thanks, Sweaton

Reply to
sweaton

Examine the condensor/radiator and if its dirty, hose it down real good from back and front. Secondly, have a driver speed up the motor to a pretty fast idle while you examine the lower radiator hose to see if it is collapsing . Lastly, have you been cleaning and flushing the cooling system as recommended ? If the above checks out ok...then, id suspect a malfunctioning engine thermostat not opening fully.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Is the radiator itself full?

Did you replace the thermostat? It's possible the thermostat is stuck shut.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I am having the same problem with my 99 Elantra and the weird part is it never smokes or smells of hot coolant. Where do I find the condensor/radiant to examine it and which hose is the thermostat in? I know alittle bit but any help would be great.

Reply to
wamoinc

'I am having the same problem with my 99 Elantra and the weird part is it never smokes or smells of hot coolant.'

Reply: First, it needs to be verified that you actually are overheating...and not that the temp. guage/sensor is misreading. If it doesnt smell of hot coolant, chances are youre not overheating . You need a lazer thermometer pointed at the upper radiator hose (underneath) to tell the actual coolant temp.

'Where do I find the condensor/radiant to examine it and which hose is the thermostat in? I know alittle bit but any help would be great.'

Reply: The condensor/radiator is at the front of the engine. The thermostat is in a housing that the upper radiator hose is connected to.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa