oxygen sensors

hyundai tech, I had no choice but to take my elantra wagon to the dealer. I was told that the after market O2 sensor would not work in my car and it needed to be replaced with an OEM part, which of course was twice the price. I was extremely doubtful that this could really be true, but since my inspection runs out at the end of this month, and my regular mechanic could not figure out why the code would not clear, I did not see that I had any choice. I did suggest to the dealer that it might be the wiring, as you mentioned, but they looked at me like I had three heads. Now I plan to print out your answer and bring it with me. So, $352 later, I took the car home, hoping that the inspection nightmare was going to be finally over. Alas, on the way home, the check engine light came on again and I took it to AutoZone. Can you guess what the code was? Yup, O2 sensor, bank one sensor 2. Now I have had it replaced twice, spent almost $600 and it is still not fixed. I will be charged $65 at the dealer, just to walk in the door. Now, at least they cannot tell me it is the O2 sensor. Is it possible that the after market part was really the problem or where they just telling me a story? The only positive thing is that my regular mechanic has told me he will refund my money for the other part.

Reply to
carsuck

Insist on a refund from the dealer too, unless they can locate the actual source of the problem and fix it. You should not have to pay for work that doesn't fix your car.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I can't say definitively because I haven't inspected the sensor, but if they replaced the aftermarket with a new OEM and the light came back on with the same code, then chances are rather high that the problem wasn't the sensor in the first place.

Why are they charging you $65 to look at it again? You've already paid for diagnosis on this. They should be willing at least to rediagnose it for free. And I would hope they'd offer something more. Just be sure to tuck your other two heads into your shirt or something, so they won't be able to see them. :)

Reply to
hyundaitech