part identification

I recently bought a used 1995 Scoupe. I noticed there is a component mounted just ahead of the driver's front tire area (draw a line between the driver's tire and the driver's headlight and this thing is mounted
about half way along that imaginary line). The unit is about 4 inches by 3 inches by 1.5 inches thick. It appears to be metal and has ridges along the top of it for heat dissipation. There are 3 wires going into it. Part of this unit has a broken chunk off the corner of it with one of the 3 wires hanging in midair. There is a sticker that used to say HOT DANGER stuck on it but now says OT DANGER due to the missing piece. I was just wondering if someone could enlighten me as to what this piece would be called and what it would be used for? It does not seem to affect driveability. A person thought it might be the daytime running light module but that module is located up in the engine compartment and is a plastic enclosed case so that isn't it. I asked at the local Hyundai dealer and the fellow there had a quick look in the computer at his exploded parts view to see if he could see it. It didn't seem to be listed in any of the electrical stuff. He didn't get a chance to look in the engine stuff on the computer since I had to run right then but he said if he found it he would call me. I just thought I'd ask here just in case someone might be able to educate me. Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Lawrence
It sounds like it may be the fan resistor. Usually they mount on the fan.
Is it possible yours has been broken off and that's where it wound up?
No, I don't think so. This item is physically mounted near the evaporative emission canister. I'll be doing some closer looking on Sunday to see if I can locate where the wires run to. Maybe I'll get more info then. Thanks for the response though.
Cheers, Lawrence