passanger airbag off

Has anybody encounter this message (passenger airbag disabled) even with adult passenger? I have it intermittently. Is this a big concern? FG

2006 sonata 4 cyl

I get it all the time with my wife, She weighs 115 lbs and always buckles up. It's only a big concern if you want the airbag to work.
--
Rob
"FGionni" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message news:nUO9g.25$ snipped-for-privacy@fe11.lga...

FGionni wrote:

I'd have it checked. My 06 Sonata GL did that once shortly after I got it back in December. It was a really cold day and I just wrote it off to the seat cushion material being stiff at 15F or so. The light went out shortly thereafter and has never acted up since.
Matt
Rob
"FGionni" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message news:3OP9g.379$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga...
FGionni wrote:

It's a known problem in the Elantra. There is no fix for it, but there may be a re-programming program soon that will allow you to choose between having the seat calibrated for an adult or for a child. What I wish they would offer is a way to just bypass the sensor and leave the damn thing on all the time.
Hyundai is not legally allowed to provide a way to bypass the occupant classification system. Occupant classification systems are now required by federal law.
hyundaitech wrote:

I've been that is a requirement as of the 2005 model year. Is that correct? My car is an '04. I realize that Hyundai is not likely to provide a bypass method or mechanism even if it's legal.
There will never be a baby or young child in my passenger's seat, so it would be nice to be able to have the system on all the time, since the OCS malfunctions at times when my girlfriend is sitting there.