PCV valve and oil consumption

Got an Accent-96, 120K km. Uses approx 0,5-1 litres of oil each 1000km (no leaks). Somone has mentioned defect PCV valve as a cause of this.
Is it possible to check if its defect?
Likely cause?
Thanx FC
whens the last time youve replaced the pcv valve? its a 10.00 $ part..

FCW wrote:

That sounds like pretty normal oil usage for an older car.

Sure. First remove it. Next, blow though it from the engine side and it should allow airflow. Blow through it from the intake side and it should not allow airflow. That's all a PCV valve does. Although they can go bad, I've owned several cars with over 150K miles on them and I've never had to replace a PCV valve. It's possible to clean a PCV, but they're so cheap that it's not worth the effort.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I'd also check the hoses to make sure they aren't clogged or kinked. PCV valves do get clogged over the years and should be replaced periodically, but if the clog is in the hose, then replacing the valve will do no good.
Has the car always used this much oil, did it begin to use more oil gradually or did this commence all at once?
Matt