PICS: Are you ready for the Hyundai GENESIS - here it is

Surprise, surprise; 14 official, high-res images of the forthcoming Hyundai Genesis Coupe found their way into the internet this morning, despite Hyundais
initial plans to reveal its first rear-wheel-drive coupe at the New York Show opening on March 19, 2008. To be totally honest, the Genesis Coupes appearance is no shocker for us here and not because of the LA Show Concept, but because we had the chance to see the production model in a set of pics shot during a marketing presentation that took place in the US in June 2007.
Despite the fact that we dont have a press release in our hands yet, Hyundai did reveal a few official details on the coupe last year. According to the Korean carmaker, the Genesis coupe will be powered by a 3.8-liter V6 engine producing more than 300 Hp. Matted to a six-speed manual gearbox, the 4,666 mm / 183.7 in. long 2+2 coupe will sprint from 0 to 60 mph (96 km/h) in under 6.0 sec. Sales of the Coupe in the US are expected to start in early 2009.
Although this hasnt been verified, at last years marketing presentation it was said that the Genesis Coupe will also be offered with a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder unit producing 215 Hp with prices set at $19,900 and $25,900 for the 4- and 6-cylinder models respectively. Well have all the official information on the Genesis Coupe at next weeks NY Show opening. View the attachments for this post at: http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p 007937#13007937

They copied the Tiburon?

The current Tib looks nicer. This thing looks fat.

<snipped>

I for one, Am underwhelmed. I thought the American version was supposed to have a 375 HP V8? Bummer. Jack Cassidy
Out of curiosity, how do you reconcile your pictures with the official website? The one there doesn't seem to look anything like a Tiburon. Are you implying that Hyundai is taking a page from American car companies and having more than one model with the same name?
http://www.hyundaigenesis.com
hyundaitech wrote:

HT I think he was referring to the coupe http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p 007937#13007937 which has Genesis on the rear deck but looks like there's a lot of Tiburon in it to me.
I would agree. I have an '04 Tib GT and thought that the new Coupe took far too many styling cues from it. The new model doesn't do much to separate them aesthetically which would make sense on a model with a higher pricepoint.
Evan
Reply to message from <Evan D.> (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:12:51) about "Re: PICS: Are you ready for the Hyundai GENESIS - here it is":
> I would agree. I have an '04 Tib GT and thought that the new Coupe took > far too many styling cues from it. The new model doesn't do much to > separate them aesthetically which would make sense on a model with a > higher pricepoint.
As a recent ex owner of a 2005 Tib GT V6, I have no problem if they borrowed (heck took!) heavily from that car since its aesthetics was its really strong point.
AAMOF for my money they could have taken the present Tib, dropped the big engine, RWD and 6-speed tranny in it, and made it have the promised performance and name of the Genesis Coupe and still score a home run in sales, despite the increase in price.
Best Regards

The price range does not seem right either. I thought the Genesis was to be high end but the other web site stated pricing in the 20k range, closer to Tib prices.

The coupe will have a much lower price than the sedan. -
Bob
> > "JLA"
> >
> > Surprise, surprise; 14 official, high-res images of the forthcoming > > Hyundai Genesis Coupe found their way into the internet this morning, > > despite Hyundais initial plans to reveal its first rear-wheel-drive > > coupe at the New York Show opening on March 19, 2008. To be totally > > honest, the Genesis Coupes appearance is no shocker for us here and > > not because of the LA Show Concept, but because we had the chance to > > see the production model in a set of pics shot during a marketing > > presentation that took place in the US in June 2007. > > > > View the attachments for this post at: > > http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p 007937#13007937 > > > > > Edwin Pawlowski wrote: > > > Here are a few pictures of the 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Hyundai Tiberon for comparison > > They copied the Tiburon? View the attachments for this post at: http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p 060725#13060725
> JLA wrote: > Surprise, surprise; 14 official, high-res images of the forthcoming Hyundai Genesis Coupe found their way into the internet this morning, despite Hyundais initial plans to reveal its first rear-wheel-drive coupe at the New York Show opening on March 19, 2008. To be totally honest, the Genesis Coupes appearance is no shocker for us here and not because of the LA Show Concept, but because we had the chance to see the production model in a set of pics shot during a marketing presentation that took place in the US in June 2007. > > Despite the fact that we dont have a press release in our hands yet, Hyundai did reveal a few official details on the coupe last year. According to the Korean carmaker, the Genesis coupe will be powered by a 3.8-liter V6 engine producing more than 300 Hp. Matted to a six-speed manual gearbox, the 4,666 mm / 183.7 in. long 2+2 coupe will sprint from 0 to 60 mph (96 km/h) in under 6.0 sec. Sales of the Coupe in the US are expected to start in early 2009. > > Although this hasnt been verified, at last years marketing presentation it was said that the Genesis Coupe will also be offered with a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder unit producing 215 Hp with prices set at $19,900 and $25,900 for the 4- and 6-cylinder models respectively. Well have all the official information on the Genesis Coupe at next weeks NY Show opening.
A few more pics of the Genesis and other Hyundais are in this gallery as well
http://www.jlaforums.com/album.php?search=hyundai&search_cond scription&sort_order=&start=0
http://www.jlaforums.com/album.php?search=hyundai&search_cond=title&sort_order=&start=0