Play the odds with a timing belt?

Anybody (hyundaitech ?) know how the 60,000 mile change interval came about for a timing belt (2002 XG350)? It has to be an odds thing, right? Something like 99.4% will not fail before 60,000 miles (and if they do Hyundai has to pay to repair the engine - so you know that number is pretty close to 100%). Does the failure rate really increase that dramatically after 60k miles? what about 70k? 80k? I guess I'm wondering how much extra risk I would be taking if I were to push this interval up to where I would only have to replace the belt once instead of twice during the life of the car (I'm expecting 150k - 200k miles out of this vehicle). Anyone care to hazzard a guess? At about $1000 a belt change its a valid question. I'm the second owner of the vehicle, so there is no warrenty after 60,000 miles.

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

I've not yet seen one of these belts fail, but I don't want to either. The thing that scares me is that the belt wrap around the cam sprocket is similar to the engines which have timing belt issues.

My recommendation is to not play the odds. I had to install a new engine in an XG because the owner didn't change the oil frequently enough. The parts alone were $6500. At those prices, the savings don't compare to the losses of paying for engine repair. If your timing belt strips or breaks, you're probably looking at least at pulling both heads and replacing the valves. I don't have any engineering numbers to spout, so I suppose you need to ask yourself how high stakes a gambler you are.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hey Hyundaitech, this is an interesting subject. I've seen you and others talk about certain Hyundai engines that are more prone to eat timing belts than others. I'm getting close to having mine done for the third time, but I'm curious as to what engines are belt eaters. I once had a 2.0 liter Mitsubishi that promptly ate a belt at the 60000 mile interval. Wasn't the earlier Hyundai engines a Mitsubishi design?

Rick SGF, MO

Reply to
Rick

I would imagine the newer Hyundai's will have a longer period of replacement (more durable belt) as the price of their vehicles is climbing???

The 60k mile interval is one reason I wont buy a Hyundai ....yet.... I plan on getting 100k out of my Camry belt b4 I change it. Maybe 110k.

Reply to
Charles Pisano

I would imagine the newer Hyundai's will have a longer period of replacement (more durable belt) as the price of their vehicles is climbing???

The 60k mile interval is one reason I wont buy a Hyundai ....yet.... I plan on getting 100k out of my Camry belt b4 I change it. Maybe 110k.

Reply to
Jody

If it's the engine I'm thinking of, it's the same 2.0 (just built by Hyundai rather than Mitsu) used in the Sonata from 1992 to 1998.

Here's my list of engines which eat timing belts based on experience (Applies to U.S. only. Different head and cam designs are possible in other countries):

1992-1995 Elantra -- 1.6L, 1.8L 1992-1998 Sonata -- 2.0L 1999-2005 Sonata -- 2.4L 2001-2004 Santa Fe -- 2.4L
Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks Hyundaitech appreciate the info from your first hand experiences. Can't beat information like that!!!!

Rick SGF, MO

Reply to
Rick

All the cars I've had that use a belt have been 60K back to my mid

60's golf. If the factory thinks 60K i wouldn't push it all that hard. the real factor is probably years/heat/total engine rev's. Those things stay pretty consistent to the point where I would not believe i manufacturer that pushed the number way out. The bottom line is that a belt is a lot cheaper than an engine. YMMV
Reply to
nothermark

Re: Play the odds with a timing belt? 2006 Intervals?? Group: alt.autos.hyundai Date: Sun, Jun 19, 2005, 12:46pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@gnomex.cotse.net (nothermark)

-All the cars I've had that use a belt have been 60K back to my mid 60's golf. If the factory thinks 60K i wouldn't push it all that hard. the real factor is probably years/heat/total engine rev's. Those things stay pretty consistent to the point where I would not believe i manufacturer that pushed the number way out. The bottom line is that a belt is a lot cheaper than an engine. YMMV -

My '01 Camry's owners manual says the timing belt needs to be changed at 90k miles. I should change mine sooner because your Golf had to be changed sooner???

I'm at 80k miles.

Reply to
Charles Pisano