POLL: How long do you think the 10 year Warranty will last?

Page 1 of 2
I think it will be gone in about two years. Just won't be necessary anymore from a Company Standpoint. What do you all think?

IMHO it will be around for a while because it has become a core part part of the company's brand identity.
As Hyundai has been moving up I have noticed other manufacturers testing out longer waranties to encourage sales. The latest is Ford offering 5yr/60k mile powertrain on all 06's
No doubt that Hyundai and Kia used it in the beginning as a marketing ploy to get people to notice their products as up-and-comers in a crowded marketplace.
But as they have been making quality gains, it has become more of a symbol of what they can be. It remains a powerful chip to use against cars that have, maybe a 3/36000 warranty.
In that sense, there will be a lot of heat if they try to drop it. Indeed, what this most recent poster said makes it clear that this strategy is affecting the other car makers.
It wouldn't make sense for the warranty to take a step down when they are forcing everyone else to take a step up.
Just FYI, the local Hyundai/Kia dealer now has occasional sales where they put 100,000 mile warranties on ALL their cars, new and used, regardless of manufacturer. Those are the companies biggest volume weekends.
It works. No one in their right mind would try to drop something that works (or would they??).
Tom Wenndt

When Hyundai indroduced the 5/60--10/100 program, they intended for it to be temporary. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go away in about the same period as the OP suggested. But, as has been pointed out, if it becomes the industry standard, they'll be pretty much forced to keep it.
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:34:19 -0400, "hyundaitech"

Chrysler used to have the 7/70 thing, I bought two Chryslers during that period. Now I own two Hyundais...so I guess I like the ideafew months to a year. If they dropped the warranty it might affect my decision.

Just an additional note...with the Chrylser you NEEDED the 7/70 warranty. No issues at all with my 03 or 05 Hyundai Excel GT's.
One of the main reasons we bought a new Santa Fe was the warranty. I figure if Ford, GM and Chrysler. Toyota and Honda don't have enough faith in their product to warrant it the same as Hyundai, why should I have any faith in it.

Toyota and Honda have faith in their own products. Their prices are higher and their warranties shorter because they can get away with it. They can get away with it because demand for their cars is high. You just helped the demand go down a little, so good for you!
--
Bob

Chevy fits into that too then?
jtees4 wrote:

Who cares? It's available now, which is all that matters.

Why drop it if they are able to maintain their quality and price? You should look into some of what Malcom Baldrigdge preached and the Asians bought into. Total cost of ownership is cheaper to build something right the first time rather than pay for service over the usefull life. Many folks understand that. Detroit ignores it at their peril.
nothermark wrote:

Because it carries the stigma of the cars being low quality if they need a warranty that long to sell them. Remember, that almost all extended warranties like that have been instituted by car makers who were having quality problems (Chrysler with their original 7/70 plan and Hyundai and Kia when their stuff was junk).
People tend to associate long warranties with low quality as backward as that seems logically!
Matt
Do people actually associate a long warranty with poor quality? I can see where some may think that, but I bet they're in the minority. Although I'm speaking strictly from a personal perspective, and I'm certainly no student of automotive history, I've always thought longer warranties make for better cars, for a few reasons.
I think most people look at it from the manufacturers' perspective: If they build a crappy car and put a long warranty on it, they're losing money... no company is going to do that.
On the other hand, if they build an average car and put a long warranty on it, they'll break even and both parties will share the headaches of vehicle ownership.
The best thing for everyone is the offer of a very long warranty. Why? The manufacturer must be confident that their car will stay out of the shop, because otherwise they're on the hook for repairs for a long time. Everyone wins: the consumer gets a good vehicle, the manufacturer makes a good dollar and a good reputation, and the warranty is there for peace of mind even though very few need to use it. The only person who loses is the shop guy/gal (sorry hyundaitech)... although they probably could keep busy with work that doesn't fall under warranty, like accidents and modifications and so forth.
If the warranty is transferable, it would also help keep resale and residual values high.
The worst are the short warranties... because then the manufacturer doesn't care if their product winds up in the shop after 24-36 months with a pooched transmission... it isn't their problem.
I agree that some may take the view that a long warranty is a sign of poor quality, but those same people probably still believe in the tooth fairy and/or the earth is flat. :)
Tim
Matt Whiting wrote:

NotBloodyLikely wrote:

The highest quality cars (Toyota) have fairly short warranties. Also the cars that hold their resale value best (Toyota) have fairly short warranties. So you won't buy a Toyota because the warranty is too short?
I look at it as the warranty only matters if a car has marginal quality. With a Toyota, I wouldn't even care what the warranty was.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Funny you should mention that, as it is one of the reasons that we purchased a Hyundai instead of a Toyota. (I do know people who have had problems with Toyotas, they are not quite as magical as some people seem to believe.) Other reasons would include overall value for the dollar, plus I frankly do not feel very comfortable purchasing big-ticket items from a country which attacked us within living memory. (My barber, who served on a destroyer and dodged kamikazes at the battle of Okinowa, does not drive a Toyota either.)
Regarding whether I'd dismiss a Toyota simply because its warranty is below industry average, absolutely. On the off chance that the Toyota transmission falls out of the vehicle in 5.5 years, is the Toyota name going to fix it? No, and there is no warranty to remedy the situation. On the slightly better chance that the Mitsubishi transmission fails around 9.5 years, will the Mitsubishi name fix it? No, but the 10-year warranty will.
I understand how you look at it, Matt, but I'd prefer to have a warranty contract in place for car malfunctions, rather than hoping the local high-quality car dealer will "goodwill" me a new transmission. I guess that my faith in quality doesn't extend beyond the length of the warranty.
Matt Whiting wrote:

I associate it with manufacturers that stand behind their cars.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

I associate it with manufacturers who need to! I'd rather have a Toyota where I don't have to worry about it. :-)
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

I really don't think Toyota's & for that matter Hondas are really that great today! We all saw what a mess the new camry transmissions were... I think Bob has a point, Longer warranties just show the confidence a manufacturer has in his vehicles!
Vineeth wrote:

Sorry, history doesn't support that. Long warranties have always (I can't think of a single exception, can you?) been offered by manufacturers' who were having quality problems and needed a marketing ploy to overcome that.
Matt