Poor MPG

I have two Hyundai cars. One is a 2000 Elantra wagon, and the other is a 2001 accent. I am only getting around 20 MPG on BOTH cars in combined city/highway driving. I keep up with the maint. on both cars. What can I do
to improve them. They were both getting good mileage when I purchased them. Any help or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Jim
Are you still using the same fuel or does it now contain ethanol?

Rob wrote:

Unless the fuel contains a huge amount of ethanol, it's not going to make a substantial difference. When fuels around here switched from MTBE to 10% ethanol, the difference in mileage in my Elantra was essentially imperceptible, amounting to all of .5 mpg, if that.
More than likely, since these are older cars, it's a combination of wear factors like slight loss of compression, carboning of the engine and exhaust system, etc. That's assuming that they are still being driven the same way, as that's by far the most important factor in fuel economy.
If both cars are in good condition and running properly, there's little you can do to change fuel economy beyond changing driving habits.

Aww! Come on Hyundaitech! you know that there "Tornado" will increase your mileage 25% and then that there "oil additive" will add another 15% and then a K&N air filter and you'll actually be making gas everywhere you drive. It's a conspiracy by auto manufactures' because they...they...well, just because.