Power steering noise on 2002 Santa Fe

I'm on my 4th power steering pump, and a recently replaced steering rack as well but continue to have loud moaning/grinding noises when making sharp turns. Especially bothersome when turning into parking spots (forward and reverse). Dealer is now suggesting I upgrade to the new, improved Hyundai steering fluid (at my own expense) to PERHAPS fix the noise. Any thoughts?

Reply to
dirt gal

This has the ring of something more to the story. You leave a lot of information out - too much for anyone to offer any thoughts. Your car is still under warranty? The dealer has been doing the work on it for those 4 pumps? Why would a dealer who is chasing a Hyundai problem tell you that you have to fork over on your own to fix a long standing problem on the manufacturer's part?

My thoughts - you need to provide more information.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

'Why would a dealer who is chasing a Hyundai problem tell you that you have to fork over on your own to fix a long standing problem on the manufacturer's part?'

REPLY: I agree. I think its time to contact the regional Hyundai Manager for her locale ; perhaps he has some history of this problem . Or...take it to a good qualified independent Mechanic who can diagnose the real cause ., then return to the Hyundai Dealer/Regional Manager with the Mechanics written report for warranty repair. The least the Dealer should do is drain the P.S. fluid and add a different kind to see if that helps instead of putting it back on you .

I have a 2002 SantaFe without any problems at 33,000 miles.

____________________________________________ Featured Best Seller Book : "I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist" (a fair appraisal of what Atheists DO believe in for their worldview). Address:

Dave in Lake Villa

Sorry for the missing details. Yes, the car is still covered under the

100K warranty (has 80K on it), and has had issues with the power steering since I first bought it. The dealer service has done the 4 pump replacements due to pump failure, and just two months ago replaced the steering rack as well. The noise never went away. Now, I feel like rather than look deeper for the problem, they have indicated that Hyundai has begun making their own steering fluid and if I pay to have that put in in might solve the problem. I am also perplexed why they would suggest a that an issue that has been an ongoing problem should now be solved by me paying to upgrade to some fancy fluid. Also, I'm curious to hear if anyone has comments about the noise problem itself. It is a noise that gets progressivly worse during a day of driving. First thing in the morning, not so bad. After about 10-15 minutes of around town driving it appears, going slowly around sharp corners or turning sharply in and out of tight spaces.

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
dirt gal

Has anybody ever bothered to check the wheel bearings ? Wheel bearings have been known to make those kind of sounds especially when making sharp turns and going around corners when they have more sideways pressure on them. Just a suggestion.

']['unez

Reply to
']['unes

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll mention that when I'm back there at the dealer this morning.

Thanks!

']['unes wrote:

Reply to
dirt gal

This vehicle uses Dexron automatic transmission fluid in the power steering system. There's absolutely nothing special about it. If the fluid in the system at this time isn't proper and it was installed by the dealer, demand they install the proper fluid at no charge to you, whether this fluid is distributed by Hyundai or someone else.

You should also open a case with Hyundai customer assistance. However, since you've reached 80,000 miles, you've significantly exceed the 5/60 warranty. If you don't have records of ongoing complaints since 60k, you're going to have difficulty getting assistance.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks hyundai tech! I have the extended warranty...with 20,000 miles left to resolve this ONGOING ISSUE. This is pump #4, and a new steering rack, all of which have been replaced under warranty since I've owned the car. Their position is, we've checked it all out, and nothing appears to be mechanically wrong with the car, other than the noise which they agree is not normal. Because it is "just a noise", if I insist on further resolve, they are suggesting this new fluid. I agree with you, if the standard fluid isn't performing properly, THEY need to replace it. I'm heading over there now, with my 4 years of service (and regular maintenance!!!) records to pursue the issue. Thanks so much for you input!!!

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
dirt gal

Definitely get Hyundai involved, too. Considering they've *never* made the noise go away, it's about time they do. Since they've already agreed it's not normal, that stikes that possibility as well (unless they were wrong initially on that count). The only situation I can think of where such a noise would be considered normal is if you were applying additional turning pressure when the wheels were already turned as far as they could go.

Reply to
hyundaitech