Power Steering Pump

Thanks again hyundaitech for all your help....timing fixed....temperature control fixed....went to drive the car....started fine...went to back up, turned the wheel sqealllllllllllllllllllllll........I think I'm going to get a horse.

Last night I changed the serpentine belts...everything seemed appropriately tight (if I try to twist the belt I can only go about 90 degrees....to tight? not tight enough?). Ran fine....drove fine...turned fine (no squeal - p/s was definitely working)......

Now it squeals for just a second when I start the car (really, no more than

1 second)...it idles ok, but when I turn the wheel (more than approx 2 inches)....the power steering pump locks up and the belt keeps going.

The bracket that holds the p/s pump is a little loose, but the space is small enough that I couldn't even get a washer (or bushing) in-between the bracket and pump. (I don't know how else to describe it...)...with the car not running , the p/s pulley turns easily...no play. (and the same while idling....only locks up when I turn the wheel)

Thanks to any ideas in advance.....(really, the help has saved me a ton.) Jared

Reply to
Jared

Presuming you have a 2.4, you'll need to tighten up the belt a bit. You should only be able to deflect the belt a small amount with light pressure on the run between the p/s pump and the crank pulley. More than about an eighth of an inch flex and the belt will squeal on startup. Also check your alternator belt. That one will need to be a bit tighter. No deflection with only light pressure applied.

Apparently, the load from Hyundai accessories is enough that the belts need to be tigher than many are accustomed to. Most people I've seen that aren't familiar with working on Hyundais have problems similar to yours.

Reply to
hyundaitech