Pre-Purchase Question? Are the 2001 Accent models safe to buy!!

Hi all,
My name is Derek (handle MegaC) and I am new to this group. Nice to meet everyone :)
I am interested in purchasing a 2001 Hyundai Accent GS-I (low miles).
It seems like a sweet deal, but I nervous as I don't have a lot of experience with these cars. This one is going for $7995 and only has 70,000 kilometers on it. However, I am relunctant. Are these safe cars? I read something about Brake clutch problems.
Thoughts, Comments?
Thanks (in advance) Derek
These are reasonable cars, but it sounds like the price may be a little steep. I'm not terribly familiar with currency conversion, but consider that you're buying a car that isn't all that low in mileage (9-11k miles a year). Also consider the price of the car new. With a 5-Speed, this car was probably around $11k USD when new.
I just purchased a 2001 Accent (with 66,000 miles) from a private party. Paid $4900 US. This is our 2nd 2001 used Accent. (The first one got totaled) They both have the 5 speeds and the new one is the GS model. We had no problems with the first one. The one we have now is in mint condition and runs like a top. Good Luck!!
MegaC wrote:

You can buy a brand new 2005 for around $9500 (US).
i think its a tad steep concidering the warranty's about to expire and in roughley 25 000 kms you'll have to go through the major tune up and timing belt change..... buy it with a extended warranty or better yet buy a new model and get full warranty... Are you in Canada i noticed you used kms's? Right now you can lease a 5 spd gs with soundsystem for 132.00 a month or just a tad more to buy..

$7995 sounds like alot to me. Did you check Kell Blue Book pricing?