Problem when braking Hyundai Accent 2000

When braking I sometimes feel the brake pedal vibrate heavily, to solve it I take my foot off the brake and back onto it and the vibration goes away.

As I am driving normally a light ticking can be heard from somewhere around the dash, on braking the ticking seems to move and become louder I am sure this is related.

Any help would be appreciate, a friend thinks that it is the abs which is to blame, I hope not as this could be a big money fault.

Reply to
Kewstu121

The ABS theory is interesting. If it's the ABS causing the issue, then the vibrations won't be the same freqency as your wheel speed. Have you ever felt the ABS engage? (Actually, are you sure you have ABS? I'm not even sure it was available on the 2000 Accent. If it was, then very few Accents actually had the option.) If not, you should take the car to a place where you can experiment safely (no danger of running into anything) with braking on a slippery surface. Get your car going pretty well and slam on the brakes. When the ABS activates, you should feel the pedal vibrate. If this is exactly the same as what you feel when braking, then the ABS activation is likely causing the vibration you're experiencing.

The next step would be to determine whether the situation is normal. It's entirely possible the ABS is activating to do its job. In such a case there would be no need for repair. What you should be interested in is whether any of the wheels are on a slippery surface when the vibration occurs. Also, if it's the ABS activating normally, there's no need to remove your foot from the brake pedal. You should continue applying brake pressure to achieve the stop you desire.

More common, however, is that the front rotors are not true. To repair, you'd need to resurface or replace the front rotors.

I'm not sure what the cause of your ticking in the dash might be, but if the vibration when braking is enough to shake the entire car, then that would explain the change in the ticking.

Reply to
hyundaitech