problem with 2001 Accent

I have a 2001 Accent, the RPM goes up/down alot when engine is idling (upto almost 2000 then down to around 500). does anyone have any ideas what would cause this?
thanks in advance, Chris.
There have been a lot of throttle position sensors in Accents and Elantras made in 2001 and 2002. Scan for codes first, especially if the check engine lamp is on.
Oops. I meant to say there have been a lot of throttle position sensor problems. Sorry.