Problems with car shaking.

I recently took my car to a mechanic in my area, and got the ignition coil/spark plugs replaced, due to a shaking/shuddering while accelerating. After the work, the acceleration problems stopped, but
a faint shaking I had continued. It has steadily gotten worse, and Ive taken it back to the repair shop (STS) and been told that they cant find anything wrong with it. Im tempted to take it to another mechanic, possibly at a dealership, and have it looked at again, but Id like to get some insight as to whats wrong if possible. The shaking gets worse after the car has been running, usually after 5-10 minutes when the car has warmed up. It only really shakes when idle (at lights or stop signs), though I think I can feel it slightly when driving. Shifting from anything in gear to parked makes the shaking stop, or at least become a great deal less noticable.
I am fairly clueless when it comes to cars, so if there is any other questions you can ask me to maybe narrow it down, feel free to do so. Thanks for your help!
What year, model, and engine do you have, EricC?
2000 Hyundai Sonata, and Im fairly sure its a 4 cylinder engine.
"EricC" wrote: > I recently took my car to a mechanic in my area (2000 Hyundai > Sonata), and got the ignition coil/spark plugs replaced, due > to a shaking/shuddering while accelerating. After the work, > the acceleration problems stopped, but a faint shaking I had > continued. It has steadily gotten worse, and I've taken it > back to the repair shop (STS) and been told that they can't > find anything wrong with it. I'm tempted to take it to > another mechanic, possibly at a dealership, and have it looked > at again, but I'd like to get some insight as to whats wrong > if possible. The shaking gets worse after the car has been > running, usually after 5-10 minutes when the car has warmed > up. It only really shakes when idle (at lights or stop > signs), though I think I can feel it slightly when driving. > Shifting from anything in gear to parked makes the shaking > stop, or at least become a great deal less noticable. > > I am fairly clueless when it comes to cars, so if there > is any other questions you can ask me to maybe narrow it down, > feel free to do so. Thanks for your help!
The four cylinder Sonatas have some noticeable vibration in gear when idling that's normal. It's usually most noticeable in the steering wheel and is often worse when the a/c is on. If you have any doubt as to whether it's normal, stop by your local dealer and have them look at it. They should be familiar enough with your particular year and model to tell you.
I too have the same problem, I have a 95 hyundai elantra, but the problems you are exactly like mine. I wish I could help, but I don't know either what could be causing it. The shaking has gotten really annoying and I know it is bad for the car. If there is anyone out there that knows what is please share the knowledge. Thanks.
My 95 Elantra shakes too. I'm planning to replace the motor mounts soon.