Programming Elantra remote - DYI?

I've found an expensive source on eBay for an Elantra remote and now I'm wondering how difficult it is to program. Can I do it myself and will I need extra tools? The information I've been able to find on hmaservice.com
suggests that I will need a "code saving kit" - can anyone confirm?

Well, the subject should have said DIY, but hopefully it was clear.
To my knowledge, dealer tooling is necessary to program the remote. Go to your local dealer, expect to pay some labor (.5 hr or so) unless they know and like you.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the dealer quoted $70 over the phone to program the remote. That plus the price of the remote has me thinking about looking for a new system - any suggestions?
My suggestion is to not install an aftermarket security system. Presuming yours is a 2001-2006 Elantra, you won't be able to remove the factory system-- it's integral in the time and alarm control module. Additionally, I've rarely seen a quality installation on an aftermarket system. They're typically installed by twisting and taping wires or by using scotch locks, which are notorious for poor connections.

These are the instructions I followed:
http://egt.gwebworks.com/garage4.shtml
They note that you can only program it for yourself if you have an '01-03 Elantra.

That's tremendous - thanks! I have a 2003 Elantra GLS so I should be OK.
Can you verify the switch is there?
I was with Kia for a while, and they used the same procedure on the Optima, where it was necessary to pull the facia and flip the switch. When I returned to Hyundai, I tried this with a Sonata, and to my surprise, upon disassembling the dash, I found no switch.
It's definitely there on my '01 :)

Sonata or Elantra?
--

"Matthew Fedder" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message