Pump in Tank

The way pressure regulation is performed with fuel injection, and an electric in tank pump prevents vapor lock. The pump pumps fuel up to the fuel rail. The pressure is regulated by a valve which opens and returns fuel to the tank over a second line when the desired pressure is achieved. That, and the fact that you are dealing with a pressurized line from the tank to the fuel rail, rather than a line where you are trying to "suck" the fuel from the tank to the intake of the pump. So... BOTH conditions you mentioned - pressure and flow - are always present with fuel injection. Any fuel vapor in the line when the vehicle is turned off is instantly compressed into tiny bubbles as soon as the pump pressurizes the line when the key is turned on. Those tiny bubbles will be swept through the fuel rail, and into the return line when the pump restarts when the vehicle starts.

Reply to
Bob

There was a spill two weeks ago at a station near my home. It was caused by someone sticking the fuel cap in the handle as most self-service stations in PA don't have ratchet piece in the handle to allow the pump to be locked on. I remember wondering (as I read the sign warning consumers of their liability for spills and warning them not to leave the pump unattended while fueling) what the clean-up was going to cost the guy as the station owner put containment "snakes" around the spill and waited for the hazmat folks to arrive.

I wouldn't expect you to from what you've posted already. Some folks don't have a lot of common sense. Fires from static caused by plastic gas jugs and sliding across the seat in your car also rarely happen, but they do happen and it takes little to prevent them. However, many folks just think it won't happen to them.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

You missed my point entirely. This has nothing to do with fuel injection. A similar closed loop system could just as easily be used with a carburetor.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I have to wonder about the details.l If the pump had a ratchet handle, it may have actually prevented the accident. For the system to work properly, the nozzle has to be inserted at least a little ways intot he filler neck. How far, I don't know. If the cap sticker did not properly place the nozzle because of the cap, it may have caused the problem. It may have fallen out of the filler pipe completely. Could be a lot of stupid things. Some people should not be allowed to pump gas under any circumstances.

See, that is where we differ. I have a lot of common sense. If I have to get back in the car, I do ground myself long before reaching the filler area. Common sense will prevent many accidents. Since many people have none, it may be best to have full service again. Some towns in MA and the entire state of NJ forbid SS for that reason.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is not a problem of sticking the gas cap in the handle. The pump nozzle is required to sense when fuel is up in the filler neck. That's a defective pump nozzle, not a problem with ratchets or gas caps.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Boy! I'm glad I ask about why do they put the Fuel Pump in the Gas Tank!I became very interested in the fact it turned into an open forum of about gassing your car!Now I can talk from experience and it is the best teacher! Do Not Put the nozzle on automatic and get back into the car! Leaving it to wash the W/S is bad enought!I have owned Sevice stations and Later I hauled Gasoline to Service Stations and to the Farmers! Gasoline does not make friends!I have seen countless failures of automatic nozzles! It scares me the most when someone smokes while pumping the gas! My son was caught on fire with gasoline, It burns fast and terribly! Just don't take the chance PLEASE!!!!Now back to the original thing on vapor lock! I am very familiar with vapor lock! can be cured on the older cars very easily. It always ocurred between the fuel pump and carbureator due to the motor heat va[porizing the gas in the line!About 2-3 clothes pins would act as heat sinks and stop the problem-

Reply to
taters2

Mechanical pumps usually put out about 6-8 psi, whereas electric pumps are typically regulated to 35 to 60 psi, while being capable of delivering up to 90 to 100 psi. The fuel pressures necessary to operate the fuel injectors led the way to the use of the electric fuel pump.

Reply to
hyundaitech

If the system is functioning as designed, it cannot vapor lock. The system should keep 20 to 25 psi in the line forever (until the line is opened). You have a regulator and a fuel pump check valve that should prevent the fuel pressure from going below that level.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Mechanical pumps can easily be designed to put out a lot more than 6-8 psi. Think diesel injector pump. I don't think pressure had anything to do with the move to electric fuel pumps. I don't know all the reasons why the move was made, but I think it is simply better all around to push the fuel rather than pull it and it would be very hard to get a mechanically operated fuel pump back by the fuel tank!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting