purchasing

Hi, I'm thing of buying a 2004 Elantra gt hatchback. Is there anything special to look out for in this model? The car has 40000 miles on it and seems to be in
great shape. The asking price is 9000.

That is 60% of the cost of a new one. It has probably been pretty much trouble free at that stage. If you can get another 60,000 miles from it with no major expenses, it would be about the same cost per mile to own and operate. I think this model has a timing belt that will have to be changed in another 20k miles or so.
I was surprised to see the KBB retail price in the 11k - 12k range.
One thing to consider is the financing. If you are paying cash, it may not matter. If you are going to make payments, check out what rates you can get on a new car. Sometimes you can get a lower payment on a brand new car than a used one. Banks typically offer much higher rates on used cars.

and
changed
get
than