Question re:30k Service- Santa Fe

We have a 2007 Santa Fe, due for a 30k service.

When I called the dealer, they told me that's the 'first big service', takes

3-4 hours, cost about $450...

Ouch, what do they do?? A look a the maintenance schedule didn't indicate this... or did I misinterpret?

Feedback please, thank you!

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

The manual will tell you what HAS to be done. Most of the stuff is "inspect" rather than replace. Some dealers will have a list of services done at certain mile points. Ask what they will do and compare it to what Hyundai says needs to be done.

My dealer has a list of (suggested) things to be done and the charges, but if you go in for an oil change they do most of them anyway for free. Much of the rest you can do yourself.

Keep in mind, service is a profit center. The difference between what the dealer wanted to do and what needed to be done was $2200 over the 67000 miles I had the car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks Ed.... I had a feeling.. I agree, most reads 'inspect'... which was done at the oil change anyway, as well as rotate tires.. I replaced the airfilters myself, Cabin/engine... never found the 'gas tank air filter'...

I would have to believe that by follwing the manual, all s/b ok... I was hoping there wasn't anything I might have overlooked....something really big...

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

I have my 06 Sonata in the dealer to replace a leaking AC evaporator. Thank God it's being fixed under the 50K/5 year warranty. They wanted to change the serpentine belt for $140. I felt guilty about having this bitch of a job done for free so I told them to go do it. I guess I'm too nice!

Reply to
dsi1

Just looked at my dealer's "menu" for the 30k service and it is $495. The

4WD SUV is $595. It is an oil change, tire rotation, engine coolant, trans fluid, air cleaner, pcv valve and wiper blades. Everything else is just inspection.

Regular oil changes are fairly priced at $35.95 but the 7500 mile service is $89.95 and amounts to paying $50 for tire rotation and a couple of more inspections. I don't do tire rotations myself any more , but by itself, it is $30 and most shops would charge that amount.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks Ed.. I can see the extras... coolant, tranny...those make sense, and might also be the ones on my local dealers list.... I think I will look into these....

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Hi, Ed.. stopped at an independant who advised to do the tranny fluid at

50k.. that leaves the coolant flush.. is that hard to do???

Uncle V> Thanks Ed.. I can see the extras... coolant, tranny...those make

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Easy, actually. Two ways to do it. You can drain the radiator and re-fill it and call it a day. Not perfect, but in reality, sufficient. It is the additives that wear out, not the ability to protect from a freeze Or you can drain, flush, fill, a bit more time consuming and takes more fluid. There are kits for doing so. I've never done it that way especially with the newer longer lasting anti-freezes. Of course, I've only been driving cars for 49 years with no cooling system problems so I may be wrong.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Excuse me for jumping in but my '07 Santa Fe just rolled over 40K today. I was checing my owners manual and I see the tranny fluid scheduled for 75K and the coolant at 60K. Also it requires the valves be adjusted at 60K. So, do we have different manuals?

On my PT when I needed the coolant changed I visited a VOIC who did it for around $40 and actually connected a contraption that sucked on one end and fed new coolant on the otehr and it tool about 5 minutes while I sat in the car and watched. Besides being more convenient is was far less expensive than the dealer charges.

Later - B

Reply to
bobmct

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Which is pretty much the question I started with.. the manual seems to have the minimum service needed... a few places have told me that beyond 30k, antifreeze components break down.....50k for tranny.. the million dollar question is always 'who's right..'...

bobmct wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

What are the make and model of these 49 year-old cars that you are driving?

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

Given the amount of stuff that comes out of the cooling system during a flush, I would not recommend skipping this step. Prestone makes an inexpensive kit that allows you to attach a garden hose to the heater hose line and do a decent flush, though most likely not as efficient as a dealer power flush. Back when I was doing my only coolant service, I would also use the Prestone radiator flush per their directions. Doing a drain, flush, refill with the Prestone flush detergent, drive a while, drain, flush again, and then refill with antifreeze took the better part of a Saturday morning. I am at the point in my life now where I am more than happy to throw $80 at a dealer in order to have my Saturday morning back! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

I just had my 06 Sonata in for the $60K service, well part of it as I do my own oil and filters, inspection of fuel system, suspension, etc. I had the dealer do the coolant flush and fill and transmission oil (standard shift). My owner's manual also called for an inspection of the AC, valve clearance and electronic throttle. When I asked the service manager to do these he looked at me like I was from Mars. He said there is nothing to inspect on the AC, not even a sight window as some of my cars have had. He said if it is blowing cool air, then it passed the inspection. He also said there is nothing to inspect or adjust on the valves. He said they can check the throttle transducers with the scan tool, but there isn't more to it than that.

It seems the owner's manual has some fiction in the maintenance schedule. Mine also called for replacement of the charcoal canister, gas tank air filter and something else at 47,500 or some odd mileage like that. When I asked the dealer about that, he said they never replace those unless there is a problem and they didn't even have the parts in stock. And, they were quite pricey in any event.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

I tend to err on the side of caution and change most fluids according to the severe service schedule. For example, the normal schedule for my Sonata never requires that the tranny oil be changed, however, the severe service calls for changes every 60K. I have changed the gear/transmission oils in my past vehicles at least every 50-60K and will do so with the Sonata. It may not be necessary, but it is pretty cheap insurance and I keep my vehicles a long time unless they are lemons. My 94 Chevy pickup is going strong at 16 years and 120,000 miles. My 03 Dodge Grand Caravan has nearly 130,000 miles and my "new" vehicle is my 06 Sonata which now has 61,000. That is if you exclude my

07 BMW K1200LT which has nearly 18,000 now.

I figure a few extra bucks over the course of 15 years and 200,000 miles isn't that much of a waste even it is really isn't absolutely necessary.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

"Voyager" wrote

OK, they were different ones. Three of them though, I never put any water or anti-freeze in them and they ran just fine. Amazing huh?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hyundai's service intervals for the newer cars such as your Santa Fe are 5 years/60k miles for the original coolant replacement and 2 years/

30k thereafter, and 7 years/15k miles for the automatic transmission fluid.

I always had difficulty recommending coolant services based on mileage; what bad things happen due to pumping it through the engine?

Similarly, I always had difficulty recommending transmission services based on time; what happens to the fluid while it's sitting there doing nothing?

Reply to
hyundaitech

Welcome back! Where ya been?

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

Because it means exposure to heat, probably many. I know one for sure: the pH buffer gets degraded, buffering capacity drops, coolant acidifies and becomes corrosive.

DK

Reply to
DK

Reply to