Questions about "Replace Rear Axle Oil" on 2003 SantaFe AWD

I have a 2003 Santa Fe. It is the AWD 2.7L engine, GLS version and has recently passed 60,000 miles. I have had the timing belt changed and the various other required service items taken care of, however there is something in the maintenance schedule in the manual that I have a question about.

There is an entry referencing the "rear axle oil". Most intervals are just "inspect", but a footnote states that with an "LSD" (I assume that's "limited slip differential") the rear axle oil should be replaced at 40,000 miles (this has not been done)

I have some questions about this.

From Edmunds.com, the standard features of the Santa Fe GLS AWD lists "limited slip differential (center)". Is that what is referred in the manual as "LSD"? I guess I was wondering that since the features specifically mentions "center", but the service manual talks about the "rear axle" oil, is the "limited slip differential (center)" the "LSD" referenced in the service chart?

In various web locations (including the dealer's web site) I see references to the "differential service", or "changing the differential oil". Is this the same service listed in the manual as "change rear axle oil"? The dealer price for this is about $80, but I have a coupon for $40 off "any service or parts", so I would imagine $40 for the job wouldn't be a bad price for this.

I'm not experiencing any problems, but assuming the "change rear axle oil" requirement applies to my car, have I done any serious damage by not having it done by now?

Thanks Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O

Sounds to me to be the same service. Most cars today are FWD so if you have AWD,, it would have a rear axle.

FWIW, in most cars it is rarely changed, but AWD needs it done. IIRC, it was "Car Talk" where a few people had some chatter problems that were cured by the oil change. For $40, I'd certainly do it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Your front differential is in the transmission and is not limited slip. It is lubricated by the transmission fluid. Proper transmission maintenance as specified in your owner's manual is sufficient.

Very few Santa Fes have limited slip rear differentials (LSD). By the same token, changing the rear differential oil at 60k isn't a bad idea, either. The same goes for the transfer case oil.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech