Quick Question about the 2008 Elanta

Does the 2007 Elanta still use a timing chain or does it still have a belt?
Thanks, Paul

Timing belt. I believe they extended the interval to 100,000 miles, but check the owner's manual to be sure.

Thanks! Any 07/08 Elantra owner out here have the PDF version of the manual I can look at?
Thanks, Paul

Go out to the Hyundai web site and sign up, and you can download the owner's manual.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Mon, 12 May 2008 17:02:24 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Strangest main criterion for buying a car I ever saw ... ;-)

Well maybe I'm silly but does $500 for replacing a belt make sense? That what it's going to run on my Honda. Now if the Elantra doesn't cost that much then maybe I'll consider it. Does Toyota use belts or chains?
It just seems silly to have to spend the extra money on maintenance but there are other factors to consider of course. The Elantra gets a lot of praise from Consumer Reports.
Paul
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It doesn't cost $500, at most it should be ~$300. If you DIY, the belt is ~$50 and you can do the job in a couple of hours the first time, considerably faster after that.

Why not just put in the VIN number of your car?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Because I own a Sonata, not an Elantra. I was just considering an '08 Elantra SE and was wondering about the belt vs chain.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It will apparently accept any VIN, so what difference does it make?

Where I signed into Hyundai (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/owners / myhyundai/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fowners%2fmyhyundai%2fmyvehicle.aspx) you have to add a car to your profile (VIN), once you have your profile setup it shows the downloads related to your car(s).
Do you know of another place to have full access to the owners manual?
Paul
Are you sure you should be looking at the severe maintenance schedule? Typically, the way Hyundai words their maintenance schedules, few drivers fall into the severe category.

Here are the details from the manual:
TIMING BELT/IDLER/TENSIONER R EVERY 60,000 MILES (96,000 KM) OR 48 MONTHS B, C, D, E, F, G
Here are B, C, D, E, F, G defined.
B - Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances C - Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt- spread roads D - Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather E - Driving in sandy areas F - Driving in heavy traffic area over 90F (32C) G - Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road
Seeing I live in the desert southwest I sure would fall under "severe usage". I'd also guess that 75% of drives in the US would fall under this too, just a guess thou.
Paul
The only one of these I see that would particularly apply to the desert southwest (keeping in mind I've never been farther west than Illinios) would be E (Driving in sandy areas). I'd interpret this to mean that there's something particularly sandy about the particular places you're doing your driving, not just in the vicinity of sand.
The high temp category also requires heavy traffic, something I wouldn't necessarily expect in your area.

Living in the Phoenix area I experience B and F for sure. It's not really too sandy but very very dusty. I need to replace my air filter ever 10k miles or so here.
Paul