Quick Question about the 2008 Elanta

Does the 2007 Elanta still use a timing chain or does it still have a belt?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
paulgyro

Timing belt. I believe they extended the interval to 100,000 miles, but check the owner's manual to be sure.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks! Any 07/08 Elantra owner out here have the PDF version of the manual I can look at?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
paulgyro

Go out to the Hyundai web site and sign up, and you can download the owner's manual.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I had that same idea but when I went to sign up it asked for a VIN#. I guess I'll look look at a dealerships website and find an Elantra VIN#.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
paulgyro

I went and registered with a VIN from a car add. Under severe conditions they want the Timing Belt/Idler/Tensioner replaced everything 60k miles or 48 months. I would find it very hard to buy a car that needed this done...

I also know my Honda Odyssey has a time-belt which needs replaced here really soon at 60k. My 2006 Sonata has a chain from my understanding, what other cars have timing chains these days?

Reply to
paulgyro

Strangest main criterion for buying a car I ever saw ... ;-)

Reply to
Wayne Moses

Why not just put in the VIN number of your car?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well maybe I'm silly but does $500 for replacing a belt make sense? That what it's going to run on my Honda. Now if the Elantra doesn't cost that much then maybe I'll consider it. Does Toyota use belts or chains?

It just seems silly to have to spend the extra money on maintenance but there are other factors to consider of course. The Elantra gets a lot of praise from Consumer Reports.

Paul

Reply to
paulgyro

Because I own a Sonata, not an Elantra. I was just considering an '08 Elantra SE and was wondering about the belt vs chain.

Reply to
paulgyro

It doesn't cost $500, at most it should be ~$300. If you DIY, the belt is ~$50 and you can do the job in a couple of hours the first time, considerably faster after that.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

It will apparently accept any VIN, so what difference does it make?

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Where I signed into Hyundai

you have to add a car to your profile (VIN), once you have yourprofile setup it shows the downloads related to your car(s). Do you know of another place to have full access to the owners manual?

Paul

Reply to
paulgyro

Are you sure you should be looking at the severe maintenance schedule? Typically, the way Hyundai words their maintenance schedules, few drivers fall into the severe category.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Here are the details from the manual:

TIMING BELT/IDLER/TENSIONER R EVERY 60,000 MILES (96,000 KM) OR 48 MONTHS B, C, D, E, F, G

Here are B, C, D, E, F, G defined.

B - Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances C - Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt- spread roads D - Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather E - Driving in sandy areas F - Driving in heavy traffic area over 90=B0F (32=B0C) G - Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road

Seeing I live in the desert southwest I sure would fall under "severe usage". I'd also guess that 75% of drives in the US would fall under this too, just a guess thou.

Paul

Reply to
paulgyro

The only one of these I see that would particularly apply to the desert southwest (keeping in mind I've never been farther west than Illinios) would be E (Driving in sandy areas). I'd interpret this to mean that there's something particularly sandy about the particular places you're doing your driving, not just in the vicinity of sand.

The high temp category also requires heavy traffic, something I wouldn't necessarily expect in your area.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Living in the Phoenix area I experience B and F for sure. It's not really too sandy but very very dusty. I need to replace my air filter ever 10k miles or so here.

Paul

Reply to
paulgyro