Re: 2001 Elantra overreving on startup. Anyone else have problem?

Hi Jeff,
Exact same problem here on a 2002 Elantra with manual transmission. I changed the throttle position sensor with no help. I can normally avoid the engine revving to high by quickly releasing the
clutch just after startup (I always startup the engine in neutral). My theory is that the engine is having an extra load when the clutch is released. This extra load slows down a little bit the rpm and, for some reasons, the computer will finally realize this is idle condition.
By the way, I also find another "anomaly" which is maybe related to overrevving at startup: when changing gears from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 3rd, the engine drops rpm slowly when warm. Does not happen when changing from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th or when the engine is warming up or when the engine is loaded with AC or rear defroster.

what exactely are you guys considering as over revving? any new car when started cold will rev high for a min or so . what rpms are you getting?? like 3000? our accent doesnt have a tach, but i think its around 1500 or so when 1st started then slows down to normal after a few mins.

It's me wrote:

It seems to me that you guys are complaining about the normal operation of the engine. Mine will spike to ~2500 rpm during a cold start, but it drops down immediately. Unless yours stays at high RPMs for an extended time, there's nothing wrong with it.

It's not an anomaly; it's designed that way. This is the throttle "hover" that enthusiast drivers are constantly complaining about. It does it in all gears and is actually dependent on RPMs, not the gear itself. I haven't heard a concrete explanation of whether it's an emissions reduction method or simply an adjunct to the equally annoying clutch valve to make stalling less likely in the case of a bad shift, but it's frustrating to an experienced manual transmission driver, as it make rev matching more difficult.

Mine will stay at ~2500rpm for more than 10s... it is very long and quite annoying at night for the neighbors :-( As explained in previous post, releasing the clutch quickly right after startup will fix the problem most of the time. When the trick does not work, I need to quickly put 1st gear and release the clutch a little bit while using the brakes to load the engine for a short moment. After that, the rpm drops to a normal ~1500.

I hates this kind of "feature". If someone is afraid to stall the engine, (s)he should buy automatic transaxle.
why did you buy it then if you dont like how it shifts? or did you not notice?

10 seconds is long?? what kind of muffler do you have on your car? it shouldnt be that loud to wake neighbours..

It's me wrote:

That sounds like a real problem. Take it to the dealer and demonstrate it for the service manager.

Agreed.