Re: 2001 Hyundai XG300 - Air Bag Light

How would I know the trouble code? I know that the dealer tells me each time that I must not keep stuff uder the seats and I have to tell him time & time again that I DO NOT. They mentioned that they read a high resistance, found a frayed wire, they re-routed the harness under the seat sometimes it was the passanger side and other times the drivers side. The last time, the factory rep allowed them to change the wiring harness and the back of the drivers seat. This was the longest period before the light came on now. About a month ago it stayed on for a day a few times it came on but went off after a restart of the engine.

Three dealers have worked on this problem over the years. Could it be a computer problem? I asked if they have seen this problem before and their answer is no. I would think that Hyundai could track, through their database, a problem like this and have a solution. What do I ask for now when I return to the dealer? I've talk with Hyundai on 2 occasions in the past. Thanks for your help and advice.

Reply to
johnam

John: I think you've given me enough information here. If the dealer tells you each time to not put items under the seat, then we're most likely dealing with the codes for high side air bag resistance.

The part about not hearing of it before is pure BS. There was recall on this issue. That doesn't mean that Hyundai is required to fix your vehicle for free for forever whenever the air bag light comes on, but it does mean that Hyundai *is required* at no charge to you to perform those repairs outlined in the bulletin (one time). If this doesn't properly fix the vehicles, then it's the job of the NHTSA to require additional recall work.

I see numerous vehicles which haven't had the recall done properly. The issue is that the harnesses under the seat move around and the small movement of the terminals in the connectors causes an intermittent high resistance issue. In almost every case where I've routed the wiring and secured as per the recall bulletin, the problem has never come back (to my knowledge). So, my initial suspicion is that the recall was not done properly.

Here's what I'd do: First, get an account at

if you haven't already done so, and see if you can access the TSB for the air bag wiring recall (I'm not sure if you can). Then, if you can operate a socket wrench, remove the four 14mm bolts holding each seat down and tip them back so you can see the wiring really well. If the wiring isn't exactly as it should be, as described in the bulletin (lots of pictures), then you should contact Hyundai immediately and tell them what you've found and that you demand that they arrange to have the recall properly performed. If you want, you could even call NHTSA for them to investigate. I think you'll find Hyundai very responsive if there's any doubt on their part that the recall was performed properly.

If everything appears proper, then I have little to offer other than returning to the dealer for diagnosis and repair.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Sorry about the disjointed reply.

As far as knowing what the codes were, you'll have access to that as long as the dealer tells you. It's something they need to document for Hyundai to reimburse them fully. In most cases, the dealer will document the codes on the customer copy of the receipt.

While I don't think you should be required to not keep things under the seat-- the vehicle *should* be well enough designed that this isn't an issue unless things are literally *crammed* under there-- you are nonetheless in the situation where this can aggravate a problem with the connectors, so I recommend it just so you won't have any unnecessary problems (hopefully).

Reply to
hyundaitech