Re: Carefully consider GPS

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 18:37:38 -0500, "Charles"

I wouldn't buy a basic GPS (ie standalone) from a car dealership. Buy it from a retailer - newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, etc. You'll pay MUCH less.

?

--
Not only will you pay a lot less, but you can often get free updates for a
time as well - my unit came with two years of quarterly map updates and

I know you can't legally attach them to a windshield in California -- and I presume in some other states. But I know you can in most states. Off hand, Arizona and Michigan since I lived there.
?

Two states do not allow attached is CA and MN. You can use a dash mount though, a beanbag deal.

California Vehicle Code section 26708: Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View
.... (b) This section does not apply to any of the following: .... (12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a (1) seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a (2) five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated.

I've never seen that enforced in California, and that's one of only I think 3 states that have that law. EVERYONE attaches their GPS to the windshield.

Err.. not sure what that means?
Side Note:
Please put your text above your sig deliminiter, the -- line, I had to manually quote you since my newsreader automatically removes signatures :)
Thanks! :)

?Hi, not sure what you mean about where to post. Is this "top posting" better? Regarding running a wire to the cigarette lighter, what I mean is the GPS needs to be plugged in to 12v. You could run the power cord behind the dash to clean things up instead of using the cigarette lighter, but that takes some skill, at least for me <g>. Regarding attaching the GPS to the windshield I just mentioned it as a matter of fact and not really as a reason to avoid portables. Mine came with a flat plastic circle with double-sided sticky tape which I attached to the dashboard. The GPS suction cup then attaches to that flat surface. This works fine and I actually like it better then attaching to the windshield since I can keep using my sun shade. The only downside is it may leave a mark on the dashboard if/when I someday remove the whole thing.
--
"Evan Platt" wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...