Re: Disable seat belt alarm on 2006 Hyundai Sonata

I'm glad someone finally figured this out. I would have been happy with the newer programming that Sonata's built after 9/15/05 have, but mine is truly annoying beyond anything I've ever experienced before. It MAKES me always wear the seatbelt. The dealer could not do anything for me.

How exactly do you know this? Have you verified this via schematic on the HMA site? I studied the schematic once myself, but didn't have the time to devote to make 100% sure I was right. I would really hate to have this interact with the air bag system someone without my knowledge.
Thanks. Eric
On Sat, 06 May 2006 22:27:12 GMT, "Eric G."

Given that the normal condition while drivng is open it appears the worst it will do is arm the airbag while parked. That might get interesting if someone backs into the car at speed.
;-)

So you are saying that the airbag isn't armed if you are not wearing your seatbelt. I don't think so. I would assume there is much more to control deployment of the airbags. I would hope the key would have to be in the ignition (and on) at the very minimum. Maybe you would even have to be in gear as well.
With that said, I'm leaning towards the thinking that this one switch should have no effect on the airbag, but I am going to try and study the schematic a bit more before trusting that.
Eric

It looks like the blue wire is the ground for the switch. That switch affects the pretensioner, and the two level discharch of the airbags. How about the less invasive approach. Find the "dinger", and put a piece of tape over the hole. You'll still hear it, but it will be much less annoying.

Already did the tape over the hole thing. In fact, it works fairly well with the right tape. I used insulating foam tape we have here at work.
Eric
I have been in electronics most of my life and I'm not really big on cutting wires without a schematic. however...where is the damn dinger?? be glad to cut it loose! or put tape tape tape on it!
On Sun, 07 May 2006 16:42:53 GMT, "Eric G."

No, I said that the most it would do is arm the airbag. It could do a lot less, like nothing.