Re: Disable seat belt alarm on 2006 Hyundai Sonata

I don't see a blue wire in the schematic. After looking at the schematic, I find it possible that the system works the way you describe, but that's
not clear either. From what I've seen, it's possible that what you've done also tells the air bag computer the seat belt is unbuckled. If that's the case, it could result in improper or too forceful air bag inflation in the event of a collision.
My recommendation is to do *nothing* to defeat or fool any of the safety systems on the vehicle.
Furthermore, if you're driving your vehicle without wearing your seat belt, you're foolish. That's why the alarm works the way it does-- to make you put your seat belt on.

I couldn't agree more. My issue with the "dinger" is that when I am at a drive through and NEED to remove my seatbelt to access my wallet, the thing keeps going and going and going.
I am aware of the fact that this was changed on Sonata's built AFTER 9/15/05, but sadly mine was assembled in August and the computer (according to my dealer) cannot be updated to reflect the changes made to reduce the annoyance aspect of the "dinger".
Eric

Looking closer at the connector for the seat belt latch, there's switch outputs there as well as the pretensioner - an explosive. Also, the seat belt reminder is an output from the SRS module to the body control module. That means that if you are able to kill the dinger at the seat belt latch, you are causing the SRS module to believe that the seat belt is buckled when it's not. It must change some mode of operation of the SRS system - what, I don't know.
The blue and yellow wires and sliding jumper are present in the driver's seat belt and are not present in the passenger's seat belt. By experiment I found that the warning chime sounds when the jumper shorts the wires together and is silent when the jumper is moved to where it no longer shorts the wires together. Snipping one of the wires silences the chime.
Does it also affect operation of the air bag system or seat belt pretensioner? Only Hyundai knows for certain. I surmise that it doesn't for these reasons:
There are air bags on both sides of the car, but the blue and yellow wires are only on the driver side.
There is another pair of wires going to some sort of sensor in the seat belt buckle, and this is on both passenger and driver sides. My deduction is that that sensor is tied into the safety systems, and the seat belt warning chime uses a separate sensing mechanism because the safety regulators expect people to try to disable it and don't want the operation of the air bag system to be affected when they do so. But that's just my deduction.
If the air bag system did rely on the blue and yellow wires, snipping them would cause it to act as if the seat belt was fastened even if it was not fastened. The air bag system might be designed to deploy more slowly if the seat belt is fastened. If your seat belt is unfastened when the air bag deploys, causing it to falsely detect that your seat belt is fastened could give you less protection.
Incidentally, I asked a Hyundai dealer to silence the chime for me. He refused, saying it was "safety equipment" and it was "not possible". If you want to silence that annoying chime, you'll have to do it yourself.

Reasonable enough process of deduction, but when it's relatively easy to ascertain for certain, why not look at schematics and truly know instead of suspecting?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Very true, but don't we have the right to be foolish? I live in Florida where there is a mandatory seat belt law but no mandatory helmet law for motorcyclists, Am I the only one who thinks that is just a bit odd?
Jack Cassidy