Re: Genesis tires

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 19:03:05 -0400, "Charles"

Exactly what other than providing the tires does Hyundai have to do with tire mileage? I agree that roads in and around Naples FL are some of the smoothest in the nation. But my two 07 Hyndais have the original Bridgestone tires and both are approaching 65K miles and there's still life left. Why not post the make/model of the tires and request some comments on those? Do research on those tires on tirerack.com to see what others are experiencing. Or maybe its just those burnouts you are doing on 41 and Corkscrew!!!
On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 19:03:05 -0400, "Charles"

I think you are a victim of an overzealous service manager that wants to earn a big bonus. He is setting you up for the next visit.
Any car with radial tires today can go at least 30,000 miles, most likely 40+. My first Sonata went 38,000 on the front, 65,000 on the back and I never rotated them. My second Sonata went 40,000 miles with one rotation.
Rather than take this twits word, look at the wear indicators on the tire. Any tire shop will gladly measure the tread also and you can pretty much figure how long it took to wear to this point and how long it will take to get to the minimum if conditions are the same.
Oh, it is also possible the guy doing the wheel alignment was a hack and caused the tires to wear. Neither of my cars had an alignment and they wore nice and even.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid 4 Average new tires used on cars typically start with 10/32' to 11/32' of original tread depth. Dedicated winter / snow tires and light truck tires typically are deeper (for light truck tires, how much deeper depends on the tire's tread typeĶHighway Rib, Highway All Season, Off Road All Terrain or Off Road Maximum Traction).
As mentioned above, tires are legally 'worn out' In most States when they reach 2/32' of remaining tread depth. For example, a typical tire that starts with 10/32' of original tread depth has only 8/32' of useable tread depth. Its useable tread depth is calculated by subtracting a worn out tire's 2/32' from the new tire's original depth of 10/32'. The final 2/32' of a tire's tread depth isn't part of the equation when it comes to calculating tread depth percentages because the tire is already legally worn out with just 2/32' of remaining tread depth.
Useable tread depth is calculated by subtracting 2/32' from the tires new tread depth. Then usable tread depth is compared to remaining tread depth in order to calculate tread wear percentages. For example, a tire that started with 10/32' of original tread depth and has worn off 4/32' (down to 6/32' of remaining tread depth) is 50% worn
10/32' original tread depth -2/32' legally worn out tread depth 8/32' of useable tread depth.
8/32' useable tread depth -4/32' measured tread depth worn away 4/32' of remaining tread depth (50% of 8/32')
A tire that starts with 10/32' of original tread depth has 12.5% wear for every 1/32' that is worn away, and a tire that starts with 12/32' ' of original tread depth, has 10% wear for every 1/32' that is worn away, etc.
Agree with previous posts. All my Sonatas have got ~65000 km with no rotation. Get a second opinion from somebody if your,re not comfortable checking them. Something stinks. John

No way my Sonata 2010 will get 65000 km with OEM tires! They happen to be "Michelin Energy MXV4". They feel like the worst tires ever. The degree of hydroplaning is completely ridiculous. And the tires are basically useless on snow and suicidal on ice. I am replacing ther this fall no matter what.
DK
In Australia Sonatas ( not sure if all Hyundai,s) come with Hankooks. Optimos on my 2010. Have had no problems with them except they seem to "thump' a bit. I,ve only got 23000 kms on this car but no obvious wear at all. I think it was my 2000 Sonata got 75000 km.

On 6/12/2012 2:23 AM, DK wrote:

replaced the tires on my Honda Civic and got Generals. The brand MAY be FINE but on that car I turned a corner that had a tiny bit of loose gravel on the asphalt and almost slid into the side of a bridge! I turned right around and went back to the tire store. They put Yokohama tires on it and the car handled, gripped the road, and stopped well in all conditions.
Alignment can be a killer, that is for sure... but service managers trying to make a sale are more likely. Good luck!
--- Posted via