Re: GLOBAL WARMING: Gore & Other Nervous Nellies Got Ya Scared? RELAX!

Page 1 of 4
Just an FYI: Tonight at 8:00PM on Discovery channel is a special on Global Warming. Tom Brokaw is hosting it.

Eric G. wrote:

Probably will be almost as accurate as Al "I invented the internet" Gore's show.
Matt

It could be. I have no idea. It may show us how much BS is being thrown around too. I think the more information shown the better.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

If only it were information being thrown around.
Matt

Wouldn't you actually want to watch the show first before making that judgement? You are like the biggest cynic on the planet. I can understand SOME of it, but you've got to open your mind up once in a while.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

I've watched enough Tom Brokaw shows to know I don't trust him or his message. No need to watch more. Kind or like eating squash. I only had to eat so much before I know I really didn't like the stuff. No need to keep trying it every week.
Same with folks like Mikey Moore. I just don't need to see a lot to know their message is BS.
Open minded means you take a look at many things. I do that often. I always say I'll try almost anything once. Going back again and again to things that don't work for you isn't being open-minded, it is being compulsive at best. You've heard the definition of insanity, right?
Matt

I like the analogy except for one thing: It might be nice to try squash again in 5 years, or 20 years, or whatever to see if you might like it now. Tastes change. Opinions change. Even facts change sometimes.

I watch Michael Moore to see what kind of BS will be circulating. I know he is full of it most of the time too, but watching it is still an education.

Sorry, but you just contradicted yourself. You look at many things often but only try anything once? Sounds like the definition of insanity to me :-)

It depends on what you are talking about. Sometimes it can take a few viewings of something to see the intended point of view.

Having a psychology degree, I've learned many definitions of insanity. Why? Which one do you think fits you? Probably something to do with Oedipus here I'm thinking :-)
Eric G. wrote:

Yes, once my taste buds begin to die I'll probably like squash. And when my brain cells begin to die, I may listen to Brokaw and his ilk. :-)

I guess we have different definitions of education. To me education consists of learning things that are important and useful.

No contradiction. I often will take a look at a number of alternatives in a given area.

True, in some cases, I agree.

No, I'm thinking of the definition that insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. :-) That would be like watching Tom Brokaw over and over and expecting him to be something other than a liberal person who reports stories for political purposes. I don't expect him to change so watching him again would be insane.
Matt

Agree on the squash and Moore but Brokaw has more character in his pinky than 20 Moores will ever have. I just watched half of the show (recording the rest for later) and there is no doubt warming is taking place. There are hard facts on that and anyone will agree. The question is why? Maybe that will be in the second half.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I've seen data to suggest that and I've seen some dissenting data that challenges it. I really don't know what the reality is with regard to global warming, other than it is now more of a political issue than a scientific one. Lots of politicians see a way to make hay with this, Al Gore being at the forefront. They will do whatever they can, including missquoting at least one fairly prominent scientist to further their agenda.
I really don't consider Brokaw to have much more character than Moore. And in many ways he is even more dangerous. Moore is so blatant with his message and tactics that pretty much any thinking person sees through it. Brokaw is much more polished and subtle and it makes his message, although it is similar to Moore's at its core, see much more credible.
Matt

All you have to do is look at the photos of many regions of ice packs and glaciers. They are melting. There is no doubt that we are warming. The real question is, does this come from a natural climate cycles, or is it man induced?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Melting glaciers don't at all mean that we are warming globally. It means the areas with the glaciers are warming. It could be cooler at the equator and more than offset this on a global scale. You can't look at one parameter and make such a call on a global scale. Even getting an accurate global average temperature isn't nearly as trivial as the global warming crowd would have us believe.
Matt

It could be cooler at the equator, bit it is not. Did you watch the show? Look at the material presented? Get back to me when you do.
wrote in message

No, he didn't watch the show. According to him, that would be insane to watch since Tom Brokaw is a bit liberal in his thinking and Matt doesn't agree with any liberal ideas.
I consider myself a conservative too, but I keep an open mind. Especially after seeing how F'd up the conservative republicans have treated this country over the last several years. I would completely abandon the conservative ship if it wasn't for the few good ones left out there. Although I have to admit that there as many, or more, good liberals out there these days too.
I'm rambling now, but you get the idea.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Yes, you are.
How open is your mind?
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id "02916&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Well, I never heard of the whole jump theory until you gave me the link, if that means anything.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

I just happened on it by accident. Makes about as much sense as some of the other theories ... which is none.
Matt

RSSFe
"Some", yes. All, no.
Eric

I'll give the puny humans credit for 1% of it. Volcanoes and solar cycles can change the weather more in 1 year than man can change it in an entire century.
--
Bob

wrote in message

man
Global warming is happening on Mars too. I suppose we caused that with our cars here on Earth as well?
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/mars_snow_011206-1.html