Re: HYUNDAI ELANTRA BATTERIES: Hard To Find Outside of Dealers -- Where They Are EXPENSIVE And "Special"!

AND THEY'RE almost impossible to replace and service!

> >Hyundai DOESN'T want you even try to:

I agree with most of what you say.

I still have the original factory oem battery in my

2001 Elantra. It has run down a couple of times, mostly when left for two weeks without starting in airport parking lots.

I invested in an emergency back up starter/battery combo for about $40, mainly because we get power outages with winter storms, and coupled with a cheap inverter we can at least have a radio and small lamp lit. I keep it in the car and have had to use it once so far, one day I will have to replace the car battery, either at the dealer, or take measurements and see what Kragens have.

Reply to
irwell

I changed battery on my Hyundau Elantra. I bought it from CostCo for $50 or less and replaced it myself in 30 minutes. The challenge is gettinf rid of the old battery.

Reply to
Khaj

I missed the part about being hard to find in the previous post. A 24F battery fits perfectly. When we run out of factory replacement (Interstate with a Hyundai sticker) batteries, our local AC-Delco supplier doesn't let us down.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Not arguing with you, Mr. HyundaiTech (I'm not that stupid). But maybe you can help clarify something.

I own both a Kia and a Hyundai. For my Sedona ('04), the battery replacement books DO list a 24F size as a listed and acceptable replacement for that battery.

But NOT for the Hyundai Elantra (mine is an '02). In two stores (one of which is an AutoZone), the only listing for the Elantra is for a special battery which is listed as either 24F-H or 24F-7H. In the few stores where I have actually been able to find this particular battery (and only one battery in one of each of the two stores), this battery looks as different from the 24F as different can be.

Whassup with that? Does this sound right (read, "Am I making sense here?")?

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Just replaced my wife 02 Elantra battery, about a month ago. My local AutoZone carry all 3 types, 24F, 24F-7H and 24F-7H-DL, the 24F was exactly like the original one, the others were larger (1/4", 3/4") than the original, but still fit OK.

I went for the biggest one (24F-7H-DL) since for only $10 more it was more powerful and longer reserve. Any one will do, it's your choice.

Reply to
Vic Garcia

"Rev. Tom Wenndt" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com:

I have an 01 elantra and had the same issue finding a battery that fit perfectly. I'm currently using a Duralast 47-DL from autozone (was about $60). It's 590 CCA and fits nicely into the existing battery tie-down flanges.

Just another option.

Ben

Reply to
Richard Dreyfuss

Somehow, I seemed to remember that a couple of stores listed a 47 number.

Sears has a strange number listing in their "International" section for the Elantra. It is a good fit, but horribly expensive.

But if the 24F works, that would be the way to go.

My question is, since books sometimes list three or four different number possibilities for a battery replacement for some cars, why is the basic 24F not even listed? There has to be a reason - virtually no store out there lists it.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Agreed - whoever had my car ('01 Elantra) before me replaced the battery at Costco; perhaps they have them in better supply than most places?

Reply to
Matthew Fedder

Most Hyundai batteries (for whatever reason) are the 24F size from the factory. They have one replacement for the Accent/Elantra (don't know the group number) and the 24F for most of the other vehicles. The fact that the Elantra original battery is the same size as the larger vehicle original batteries is how I know that the 24F will work. In fact, for customer pay repairs, I use the larger battery since we charge the same price for it.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Have 2002 Elantra and just purchased and installed Duralast 47-DL battery at Autozone in Chicago suburbs for $74.99. No problem in finding it in stock nor in installing it. The positive terminal connector is unique but sure does the job, had no corrosion with the old battery. The old battery was the original and car was purchased in April 2002, thus it was over 5 years old and still working fine but I figured better to replace considering the age.

Reply to
Jr

Thanx for the info. But my question still stands. Most of these battery "replacement guide" books are pretty generic, and for some, list three and four sizes for different cars, only one (if that) which was the original.

I am yet to see a replacement guide book list the basic 24F for the Elantra. My question is, "Why not?"

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

The problem is, I can't say. I'm supposing some parts guru studies the car, its battery, and the space available; then he decides what's the appropriate thing to fit in there. On the other hand, they could simply be working off dimensions supplied by Hyundai.

Actually, I just replaced one of these about an hour ago. Battery was almost 5 years old. The Sonata factory replacement (24F) fit like a glove.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I bought mine at costco, and they topok the old one,,,Walmart also has them and they take the old one!

Reply to
Deck

Costco will take it back. Scott

Reply to
zonie

All the comments about Hyundai batteries are appreciated here. I read the messages on Aug 15th and now on Aug 17th it turns out that I need a battery for Sonata 2005.

I went to Auto Zone nearby and purchased one of their 24F batteries. It fit right in with no difficulty at all. The salesperson helped me to put in. All we needed was a 10mm inch 'box wrench' and a 12mm socket wrench with a long extension.

Something puzzles me about battery failures. Mine failed completely. Gave no warning at all. Put a charger on it for 1 hr and 40 minutes but the battery was still dead.

In years past I recall that when batteries failed they would take a partial charge so that you could start the car and then get a replacement battery somewhere.

Today I used a 'jump start' unit with its own built-in battery. It allowed me to start the car and go purchase the replacement battery.

-Ogato88

Reply to
Sonata driver

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:20:54 -0700, Sonata driver posted:

Not specifically Hyundai, but I thought you might enjoy this...

Earlier this year, my Ford F-150 suffered an alternator failure, which went unnoticed until I couldn't start it. I charged the battery overnight, and tried driving the car to the dealership (about 30 miles on the highway and then through town). I only got about 10 miles before the whole thing died again.

I called a friend, and he came to give me a boost. We ended up driving back to his place, where we picked up a battery charger and his small

1200 watt Honda generator. We put the charger under the hood, ran an extension cord back to the truck box, and plugged it into the Honda generator.

When I pulled into the dealership service bay and shut the Ford off, the fellow walking up to greet me stopped, looking a little puzzled. He asked what was running, and I showed him. He got a big laugh out of it.

That little problem taught me not to jump-start my diesel tractor with the Ford running, a method I used all winter.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

It all depends on the problem with the battery. If there gets to be an actual open circuit, you won't even be able to charge the battery. I had a similar experience with the battery in my last car.

Reply to
hyundaitech