Re: Hyundai or Kia..Who's at the top status-wise ?

Please understand that I own both a Kia and Hyundai and like them both, so I am not biased towards one or the other. But what I see from industry sources is:

*Up until now, Hyundai has run circles around Kia in terms of quality. Even amongst similar vehicles, the Hyundai has always had the edge. It helps that Hyundai hasn't sold a real quality lemon in a while. The 2002-05 Kia Sedona really drug down Kia's quality (admitting this even though i own one).

*From the people who test-drive these vehicles, the closest consistent comparison given is that Hyundai tends to tune their vehicles a little "sportier." I haven't noticed that at all, but if so, it means that Kia is a lot like a Pontiac, or at least what the Pontiac moniker is supposed to mean. Hyundai is trying to change its image from Chevrolet to Oldsmobile.

But, like GM, the Hyundai and Kia vehicles are becoming so similar that I expect any differences to be pretty much gone within the next couple of years.

I was listening to the radio this morning and there was an advertising > promo show from World Kia here in Las Vegas. The main theme > of the program (other than selling Kia's), was that Kia was the > premium brand, outdoing the Hyundai as far as luxury and quality. > I thought it was the other way around, that Kia was the entry level > vehicle from the Hyundai-Kia corporation in Korea. > I guess it was sort of like the relationship between Chevrolet and > Buick was for a while in the old days. Can someone please clarify > this?
Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

If the post didn't make sense, I meant to say that, "KIA tunes their vehicles a little sportier." Hyundai tries to tune their vehicles a little more "family-comfort" oriented.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Never having driven a Kia, I can't say what the difference is. OTOH, the Hyundai is much sportier than any of my last three Buicks, in spite of the fact that Buick has improved. My '97 LeSabre was similar to driving a living room sofa.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" scribbled:

And I will add that my 06 sonata is much smoother than my Grand Am's. The Pontiacs feel like they have no suspension in them. You can feel every tiny ripple in the roadway, the steering is almost stiff, the throttle has a heavy spring and is really touchy. Just look at it, and you are taking off from the light. It's awful at parking lot speeds.

Reply to
Don P.