Re: Is rust on the wheel drums normal?

Hello Tom,
WM> 2006 20: 58:06) about "Re: Is rust on the wheel drums normal?": WM> T>> Well, I hate to break it to you, Wayne, but the Sonata DOES have
T>> rear brake shoes in a drum for the parking brake system. I just T>> logged into the Hyundai Tech site and looked at the system. T>> WM> Hmm .. learn something new every day I guess - I stand corrected. WM> WM> I wonder if my Tiburon and the Elantra GTs have this same hybrid WM> brake system at the rear.....? WM> WM> Must check Webtech when I am next on my laptop.
Follow up ... I was under the Tib today and the parking brake cable runs straight to the calipers. This was confirmed by Webtech, i.e. while the Sonata has drum shoes insides the crown of the rear rotors, the Tib has no such configuration. Neither did the 2002 Elantra GT I had.
So, there are both types.
Regards, Wayne Moses
That's interesting, Wayne. How do they get enough mechanical advantage on the disc pads? Does the cable work another hydraulic cylinder? If the calipers were forced forward, the disc cylinders would just get pushed into the calipers. I guess it's my turn to go searching to find the answer. :o) Intriguing.
(Thu, 16 Nov

On the point you didn't follow, I made it as confusing as possible. :o) I was thinking just as a caliper and not fore/aft on the car. Forward was moving out of the caliper and back was retracting into the caliper bore. There are pistons on each side or just one side of the disc that move back and forth. I see that there is a cam that moves the piston forward. One more thing to leak............ Oh well.
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:42:22 -0600