Re: Need ADVICE for 2003 Santa Fe

Unless you've got over 60k on the vehicle or it's not a US vehicle, it's still within the factory warranty period.

Hyundai will repair the vehicle within the warranty period for defects such as oil leaks or excessive burning of oil. Be prepared for a fight if you want to make a claim on excessive burning/consumption. Most manufacturers set the standard grossly high (around 1qt per 1000 miles), so they'll need to find consumption higher than this.

Technically, you should check your oil every time you fuel the vehicle. I don't. Nor do I really expect anyone else to. But once a month (or every couple weeks if you drive a lot) is a good idea.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Yes it's over 60K (79K actually). I check my oil (only because I bought it USED) twice a month - and for it to go from FULL to almost EMPTY is freaking me out.

Should Nissan be covering this - with the 3-year extended warranty - THEN?

Julia

ps, I appreciate the info

Reply to
crowoman

In that case, the factory warranty is done (except rust through and 8/80 emissions components). Be aware, though, that no oil on stick is not the same thing as empty. In most cases, no oil on the stick is about two quarts low. As an estimate, pull your stick out and consider each quart low to take the same length on the stick. See how you only get to two quarts or so before reaching the bottom of the stick? The issue is that the dipstick does not reach down to the bottom of the pan. Your engine holds about 4.5 quarts, so it's not as bad as you originally thought. I'd definitely keep an eye on it though.

Also check the warranty you purchased to see what it covers and what deductibles it has. You may be able to get some benefit from it.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Oh right - thanks for saying that - they did tell me there was a smidge oil on the very bottom of the stick that signified that I was a quart and a half low vs. the TOTALLY EMPTY that I thought it was...

Reply to
crowoman

Reply to
Jody