Re: Silly question

Maybe I should have worded it different,what usually puts the light on at this milage?

This is the first post I've seen in this thread. Which lamp are we talking about, and what's the mileage?
2000 3dr accent 81,600 miles.Engine check light just came on.Runs fine hasn't seemed to lose power? At this stage of life what should I look at first until I can get it scanned. HT I'm not sure why you don't seee the original post?It's still there?
I too do not see the post, anyway, most of the time the problem is a gas cap not put back properly.
Make sure it is correctly positioned and wait couple days or if you are in a hurry, disconnect the battery and reconnect.
Jim

Gas cap;, oxygen sensors, fuel canister and about $4000 more in potential parts that can be wrong to replace. Until scanned, we can't tell.
In regard to not seeing the original post, there's probably some issue with the forum I'm using. The one I responded to is the first one I saw.
Among the more common problems are the flex pipe, the oxygen sensors, and the air flow sensor. Given the multitude of things the ECM checks, as Edwin said, the first step is to check the stored trouble codes. Go to AutoZone or someplace else that will read the code for free and report the trouble code back here. (I don't care what these people think caused your problem. I want to know the code number itself.)