Re: XG350 2002 multiple das indicators lighting - Seedometer died.

Sounds like the alternator to me. I know that if the alternator goes out, both the battery and the brake lights will come on...its wired that way...don't know why. Don't know about the TCS, ABS, or speedometer, but the alternator is the place to start. Quite a job on the 2002 XG350. Get it to a dealer for some warranty work. If it failed just as the car was getting home, and if you only started it one time after that, your battery should be almost fully charged. We drove 50 miles to get the car home after our alternator failed without any problem. Just keep all electrical stuff off... No radio, headlights, A/C, heater, etc.
Dan

Turns out the warranty was 5 yr 60K and we have >70K. dealer wants $500. Is it really that tough to get to and replace it myself?

The labor guide I looked at called for labor time of 1.6 hours.
Old_Timer
It's no cakewalk. If you have the equipment, you can discharge the a/c, remove an a/c line and coolant fan, and squeeze it out. If not, you'll need to remove the radiator.
Open your hood and look at the alternator. You'll probably understand.

You can do it yourself. The alternator will squeeze out/in without removing the radiator, but just barely and only in one orientation. Cut a piece of cardboard to cover the radiator fins to protect them, if you cut the cardboard correctly it will fit right into the radiator frame. I believe I did take the radiator mounts off so I could move it a little, but I did not have to remove the coolant or take any of the hoses off. I did two 2002 XG350's.
The other alternative, if you haven't done the timing belt yet, is to get them both done at the same time as a lot of the labor overlaps.
Dan

When should the timing belt be replaced?

Book says 5 years or 60,000 miles which ever comes first. But, according to Hyundaitech, the X350's not noted for having timing belt problems. I did mine at 90,000 miles (5 years) and did my wifes at 60,000 (5 years). I'm at 125,000 miles now (7 years) and for sure will wait until 180,000 and then I'll have to decide whether a 3rd timing belt is in order or not.
Dan
Is the Hyundia eng a critical eng. in that if the timing belt breaks major damage will result or will it just stop running?
On 5/12/08 8:31 AM, in article kFXVj.90864$ snipped-for-privacy@fe20.usenetserver.com,

To my knowledge, any Hyundai engine currently in production has the capability if serious damage if the timing belt (or chain) fails.
Yes, its an interference engine. Bad news to have the timing belt break.