REading 2006 Sonata check engine light code

I agree that's a little odd. Normally, trouble codes remain for longer than that, even after the lamp goes out, unless the battery went dead or was disconnected.

Most faults require two successive failures to turn the lamp on, and then three successive test pass results for the lamp to be turned out.

Certain important faults will set the lamp at the first fault.

If there's only been one fault, the code is stored as "pending" and will be erased if the next test passes. I suppose it's technically possible that this was an important fault that only occurred once.

Of course, it's also possible that the technician didn't check all necessary systems (engine and trans) or for whatever reason decided the thing to do was to clear whatever the code was and simply deny its existence since the check engine lamp was on.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I wonder if there's a problem with your fuel sending unit. Can't remember off the top of my head whether it's monitored by the ECM. Numerous problems with these in early production '06 Sonatas.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Okay, skip the sender idea. I'm guessing you have a leaking intake manifold gasket. Have done a few of these on 4-cyl '06 and newer Sonatas. This would explain the roughness as well. In fact, it's usually obvious if you remove the plastic engine cover and look around.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Yep, that appears to be it. Any idea why this is a common failure mode? I've never before had a vehicle where the intake manifold gasket failed and I've run several cars well over 100,000 miles.

Is the replacement gasket better than the original? Do I need to plan to replace this every 50,000 miles on this engine?

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

My only suspicion is improper torque from the factory, either too loose allowing the gasket to get sucked in, or too tight, damaging and weakening the gasket so it can get sucked in. Usually, a portion of the gasket indeed gets sucked in. I don't see enough failures to expect that all cars will have it, just enough to know that with certain symptoms, this is an excellent first place to look. In my opinion, the gasket is stout enough-- a couple layers of thick paper like most intake gaskets. Have seen no difference in construction between replacement gaskets and the originals.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Have you had a hard time getting the gaskets? It has been two weeks (last Thursday) since the dealer ordered mine and it has yet to arrive.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

They finally got the gasket today. Have it installed Wednesday and hope that really is the problem!

Matt

Reply to
Voyager