REading 2006 Sonata check engine light code

Page 3 of 3
On 1/19/2010 7:10 PM, Ed wrote:

Yep, one of the best investments I ever made.
Ed wrote:

I am guessing now it was pure coincidence (see prior post about leaking intake manifold gasket).
Matt

Okay, skip the sender idea. I'm guessing you have a leaking intake manifold gasket. Have done a few of these on 4-cyl '06 and newer Sonatas. This would explain the roughness as well. In fact, it's usually obvious if you remove the plastic engine cover and look around.
hyundaitech wrote:

Yep, that appears to be it. Any idea why this is a common failure mode? I've never before had a vehicle where the intake manifold gasket failed and I've run several cars well over 100,000 miles.
Is the replacement gasket better than the original? Do I need to plan to replace this every 50,000 miles on this engine?
Matt

My only suspicion is improper torque from the factory, either too loose allowing the gasket to get sucked in, or too tight, damaging and weakening the gasket so it can get sucked in. Usually, a portion of the gasket indeed gets sucked in. I don't see enough failures to expect that all cars will have it, just enough to know that with certain symptoms, this is an excellent first place to look. In my opinion, the gasket is stout enough-- a couple layers of thick paper like most intake gaskets. Have seen no difference in construction between replacement gaskets and the originals.
hyundaitech wrote:

Have you had a hard time getting the gaskets? It has been two weeks (last Thursday) since the dealer ordered mine and it has yet to arrive.
Matt
Voyager wrote:

They finally got the gasket today. Have it installed Wednesday and hope that really is the problem!
Matt