'Realistically' , when should one change spark plugs on a Santa Fe ??

I know it says 100,000 miles in the owners manual, but, id like to hear what HyundaiTech in this NewsGroup says about this ; would 50,000 miles make more sense if money were no issue ??

Thanks.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

I was under the impression it said 60k in the owner's manual. I'd recommend whatever the manual says. I have not experience to suggest otherwise.

Reply to
hyundaitech

HI there.... Want a really good story? We didn't have to change plugs on our '01 SF until 225,000 km. It was only then that we noticed any degradation in performance that required it to be done.

Reply to
Rick Lavigne

Did you experience any difficulty in getting them out after that many kms?

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

Aside from acrobatics and getting the top manifold off to get at the rear ones, not really...LOL.

Was amazed at the wear though. Got to hand it to 'em, the engine designers did a pretty good job in my opinion as far as reliability.

Reply to
Rick Lavigne

'HI there.... =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Want a really good story? We didn't have to change plugs on our '01 SF until 225,000 km. It was only then that we noticed any degradation in performance that required it to be done.'

REPLY: I cant relate to km...but it sounds like alot more than 100,000 miles. How come you didnt change plugs at the recommended interval ? If you wait until youre having bad performance, just think of the possible engine damage you could be causing from not spending a measily amount on spark plugs . What is your rationale behind running your engine into the ground ..just curious. Thanks.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

It wasn't a case of running it into the ground. There was no degradation of performance up to that point. One of the reasons I didn't change them at the recommended interval was just that.

I had my regular mechanic do the work by the way, since I can't trust the dealership's service department since they ripped me off to the tune of

2600.00 2 years ago for their own mistake.
Reply to
Rick Lavigne

Reply to
Jody

I just did my 2002 XG-350's at 60,000 miles (96,000 km) and they looked almost new. Gap still in spec, only slight discoloration. At $13.75 each from a Hyundai parts dealer, I might try and go longer for the next interval. One of the big problems I fear is not being able to get them out if you leave them in too long. Remember the above 225,000 km (140,000 miles) was on an '01 SF so they couldn't of been in there more that 4-5 years. Now that I have anti-seeze compound on the new set, I'll probably try and get 100,000 miles / 5 years out of these. Same with the timing belt I would guess...you have to consider not only the miles, but also the years.

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

OK....the 2600.00 story.

Went out to my Big Brown truck one summer day. Noticed a puddle under the rear differential, not a big one...just enough to set off the service alarm bells in my head. Went to the dealership, the truck still under warrantee and all at the time. They examined it and determined that one of the seals on the unit had failed. Now, the first thing that should have worried me is that they had come right out and told me " we've never replaced those on the Santa Fe as yet". I figured ok, do you know how to do it? They kindly answered " Of course, we have been trained to do it but have never had to do it on a SF so soon" Now you have to be told this one thing about my SF. It does alot of mileage. Probably the highest mileage any Santa Fe has in the province because we commuted 500 km per week on a minimum. So the truck was up there, but still under factory protection at the time They had the truck for 3 days! It took them that long to get the parts and remember what to do with them. They replaced the faulty seal supposedly and gave me back the SF. I checked for 3 days and there wasn't any leaks so I figured ok it was fixed and they have something they can tell HQ that they knew how to do this. Three months later the truck needed an oil change. No big thing and I usually took it to the dealership to get that done. I liked the service there and even learning on my truck at the time had not deterred that feeling. Except that they had no openings to do the service. I figured gee, I really need to get this oil change done with the driving I do. So I take it to a local place to get it done. The change went as advertised, all done no remarks about any problems found on thier inspection. The time of year we were driving at this time didn't give me the chance to see any new "spots" so I was going about things as usual on a trip down to the city in the morning with the wife, in the dark of morning. She mentions that there seems to be a sound that she has never heard before. It was coming from the rear and I listened and it almost sounded like a tire rubbing. I slow down a bit and it seems to get a bit louder. There was a service station not far down the highway and all of a sudden I hear this bang as if I had run over some debris and the sound turned into a low groan. Figuring a blown tire or something I nurse the truck into the parking lot. Checked all the tires, all were up. The sound didn't occur in idle so it wasn't likely an exhaust failure. There was not exterior damage to the truck so it wasn't wind. Get back into the truck and we agreed that it had to go the dealership even though we were now over the warrantee period by about

6k. Dealership phones me late that afternoon. Seems that in thier opinion the place that did the oil change failed to replace the differential fill plug properly and had "stripped the connection to the point the plug wouldn't tighten" thus causing all the fluid to spray out under pressure and frying all the gears. Problem 1 with this story of theirs - the oil change was 2k ago. Problem 2 with the story - no reported problems at the oil change place. The third problem - I demanded the parts from the dealership.

You see, I was able to tighten the plug with no effort at all. So, I said the Service Manager - this was caused by your boys not doin the job right. He of course refuses to take blame. I mention that it was apparent to me that you guys were learning on my truck. Oh no sir....we knew how to fix it.

After a week of futzing around they finally put a new Differential into it and it cost me 2600.00. I still have the part. It still seals fine. Hyundai Canada refuses to own up to the foul up and my truck has never seen the inside of a dealership repair shop since.

Reply to
Rick Lavigne

Reply to
Jody