Rear Defroster on 02 Sonata has one bad bank

Well, it was bound to happen some day. It's started to get frosty here in Chicago and I just noticed this morning that one of the banks on my rear defroster is out. I've seen the liquid contact fix for sale in
stores for years but never had to use it. So, how do I go about finding where the break in the contact is and is there any recommended brand to use? This is my first foray into the wacky world of defroster repair so any and all tips are welcome. Thanks.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Usually, if you look closely enough, you can see the break. If not, use a test light. Start the car and turn the defogger on. Clip onto ground and probe along the line in question. When you cross the break, the lamp will go from off to on or vice versa.

Thanks Hyundaitech. Is this test light something I can buy at Radio Shack or would any auto shop have this?
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Haven't checked Radio Shack, but just about any auto tool supply place would have one. I've bought my last ones at Sears. It's a little lamp with a pointy probe to touch things and a clip to attach the other side to an electrical connection.
If you have a voltmeter, you can use it in similar fashion. Clip one lead to ground. As you go along the line in question with the other lead, the voltmeter reading will change from zero to battery voltage or vice versa.

Ok, cool. Either of those is a good option and there's a Sears real close to me. Thanks again HT.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080908090202090101060200 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

--------------080908090202090101060200 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"> </head> <body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000"> Thee Chicago Wolf wrote: <blockquote cite="mid: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com" type="cite"> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap="">Haven't checked Radio Shack, but just about any auto tool supply place would have one. I've bought my last ones at Sears. It's a little lamp with a pointy probe to touch things and a clip to attach the other side to an electrical connection.
--------------080908090202090101060200--

Cool. There's a Murry's a block from me and an Autozone 1/2 a mile away. I'll check out what's there. Thanks!
- Thee Chicago Wolf

You can pick up a test light at just about any hardware store, Home Depot, auto parts store, etc. Just make sure to get one that will operate on 12v.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net