Rear Drum Adjustment 2002 Elantra

Are the rear drum brakes adjusted by operating the emergency brake?
Thanks

I've been unable to determine whether the emergency brake has any effect. In the shop, I've needed to adjust using the star wheels at the shoes or with the emergency brake cable, or both.
thought these had self-adjusting brakes?
The star-wheel adjusters are notorious for not adjusting the brakes properly. Then again, they're better than nothing.
Most of my adjustments are done when replacing shoes.