Rear Shocks or Struts?

How can I tell if my '95 Elantra GLS has rear shocks or struts? Thanks.

Reply to
Hurricane1000

I don't remember. Basically, a strut is a load-bearing suspension component. A shock supports no load. This is mostly a technical distinction and will be the same on any particular model. There isn't any particular need for the consumer to know. You'll either have shocks or struts but won't have both.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I have both on my minivan. It has struts in the front and shocks in the rear! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Look at them.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Ya, it's easy!

McPherson struts have a big coil over, and attach directly to the lower control arm with a robust, rectangular bracket. Shocks attach by one little eye. How's that Mike?

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Doh! I meant on an axle. Nice catch.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I knew what you meant, but I just couldn't resist. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Me thinks that anyone who asks the question posed above will not understand what a coil over is, nor a lower control arm.

Reply to
Mike Marlow