Rear suspension noise when going over bumps in road?

My 2002 Hyundai XG350L with 47,000 miles used to be a very soft riding car. It has brand new Michelins installed 4 months ago. This new noise just started two weeks ago. When going over a bump (most often a raised bump like a pavement blowup) the rear suspension is very noisy and hard riding. When the rear tires drop into a pothole or drop off there is little noise. Struts are not leaking. Everything looks good from an initial visual inspection. Car was 4-wheel aligned and the alignment just rechecked. Tires are correct inflation all around. I replaced the inner U-shaped rubber stabilizer bushings and it initially moderated the noise but the ride was still harsh. I then replaced both outer links last weekend. Now there is little or no noise but it still rides like I have bricks for rear struts. With so few miles could the struts be bad? Would they ride fine most of the time and be ok when encountering dips in the road but be very harsh for bumps? I am stumped and my full warranty just ended.

Reply to
kr

On some vehicles, the upper strut bushings are made of a material similar to foam and they rot away. The new bushings are made of rubber.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Are these bushings shaped like a donut? At the very top of the strut? There was material that was coming off of the top of the strut tower on one side. Would these be the bushing A and bushing B denoted on the exploded view drawing? Or the urethane spring pads.

Reply to
kr

I'm referring to "bushing A" and "bushing B." I'd say they're shaped more like washers than doughnuts. One is tapered, and the other isn't.

Reply to
hyundaitech