Recommended brake pads for 2002 Sonata GLS

Hyundaitech or anyone in the know,
It's getting to be about that time to replace my brakes and I'm curious what's good to use in terms of either brand or type. I don't
know what the OEM pads were made of (ceramic? composite? semi-composite?) and I don't think it was written in the owners manual.
My mechanic always puts ceramic pads in there and while they feel great and don't make noise, I feel after a few months they stop poorly. In fact, in instances where I have to slam on my brakes, my car will not screech to a stop but quickly glide to a stop as if the calipers are not gripping the rotors hard enough to stop wheel rotation. Essentially, I am still moving. It's worse in wet weather and I'm concerned about rear-ending someone. Hasn't happened ever but there's been some close calls. I don't have ABS (IIRC, it was an option at purchase time) so I know that's not the problem.
I've been debating to not use ceramics as I've read they have less stopping power. Is it my pads & rotors or is this a bigger problem?
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
I like Bendix brake parts.
--
Airport Shuttle