Replaced head unit

About a week ago I ordered a replacement head unit for my 2006 Sonata from Crutchfield. I was really tired of having a seperate control for my Sirius radio and listening to it through an FM transmitter was less than acceptable quality. So my head unit has Sirius built in, and it also added the WMA file compatibility that was sorely missing in the OEM head unit.

The wiring harness and adapter plate were perfect from Crutchfield.

The only thing I am missing now, and was well aware of it before I ordered the radio, is that the steering wheel controls no longer work.

I haven't really searched the HMA site yet, but has anyone successfully found the color coded wires for these controls? Or perhaps another wiring harness that has these wires built in? My head unit DOES have the wires for this (at least the volume) built in, I just need to find the right wires on the Hyundai.

TIA

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Can you post a link to what you installed? I am curious how it works since the Hyundai radio is part of the dash...looks like it would be difficult to swap out.

Thanks Pat

Eric G. wrote:

Reply to
komobu

Reply to
komobu

"komobu" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Here is the link, but I am not sure 100% that it will work for you. What I mean is you have to select the model of vehicle to get details on installation. I did that for this link, but I am not sure that information will get preserved with this link.

Basically, they send you a dash adapter that fits perfectly where the Hyundai radio fits, but will hold a DIN radio and giv you storage for a few (maybe 2-3) CD's above the radio. Although the material they used to make the adapter is not exactly what Hyundai used, it looks reasonably good.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Eric; I was able to see the unit you bought, but not the dash adapter. If you have the time could you upload or email me a jpg? I am really interested.

BTW...What do you th> "komobu" wrote in

Reply to
komobu

"komobu" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

Pat, I just emailed the picture to you. Let me know if you get it.

the12volt.com seems like an informative site, but they do not appear to have what I need specifically. If I get time I will put in a request for it but it does seem strange that no one has asked about it yet.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Thanks Eric!!!!

That looks pretty sharp!!! I didnt know they had anything like that. I am glad they do because that was an area of consideration with me for upgrading the Audio System!

Take Care Pat

Eric G. wrote:

Reply to
komobu

"komobu" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

As I said in my original post here, be forewarned that the material is not a perfect match for the dash material that Hyundai uses. It is close enough not to bother me, but I know it would bother people more sensitive than I.

My replacement radio is pretty much equal to the OE radio as far as punch goes. I was really just looking for an integrated Sirius solution. The stock speakers are pretty damned awesome IMO.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I just did this too with a Pioneer deck in my '07 Sonata, and it wasn't that hard. Also from Crutchfield. But with the Pioneer you have to order a seperate steering wheel control interface, about $70. I'm going to do it soon because I got used to the steering wheel controls pretty quickly.

Did your AM reception suffer? I get almost none now, and I'm wondering if there's an amplifier for the in-glass antenna that needs to be hooked up.

Reply to
mmduf

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

I had a similar situation when I tried to hook up a Siruis adapter (for the OEM radio) about a year ago. Both my AM and FM were poor, but the FM was good enough to survive. But with the Kenwood I installed, I have no issues with reception at all.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.