Replacing lower oil pan on 2002 Sonata GLS: Can a monkey do it or should I leave it to a mechanic?

At the last oil change I got, the tech told me that the last person who did an oil changed stripped the plug so now there's a temporary plug there, the rubber kind I believe. I found a replacement OE lower
pan with plug for $25 and the gasket is $8-10 at my local auto parts store. So can is this a pretty easy drain the oil, unscrew the old pan, remove the gasket, replace with new gasket and new pan and replace oil type of job or should I let someone know knows what they're doing do the job? Although I don't have a lift, it seems simple enough just by looking at it. Anyone done one of these jobs ever?
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] wrote:

There usually isn't enough space to remove the oil pan without lifting the engine.
Google "stripped oil drain plug repair" for alternatives.

I saw a couple self tappers available but I usually go to Jiffy lube or one of the other places and lord knows I'd be right back to where I am now or worse. I'd have my plug fall out from their monkey work and fry my engine due to oil leaking out.
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:15:59 -0500, Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] wrote:

Looks like the sort of procedure where you will need to get under the car, preferably using a lift.

And a lift is something I don't have access to. Thankfully my mechanic does.
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

This isn't too bad on the V6-- just remove the bolts and pry the old pan off. Install the new pan with RTV-- I don't care what the auto parts place is telling you, the original sealer is RTV.
On the four cylinder, if I recall correctly, you may need to take the exhaust out of the way. Nose around to see if that's so.

Cool. I did get a note from the parts supplier stating that you do not use a gasket but instead the RTV stuff. Saves me another $10. I got the replacement lower pan with plug for only $40 and my mechanic said $40 to replace it. I figure I'm making out pretty good. Thanks kindly.