Replacing old speedometer, how do I reset actual miles ??

Page 1 of 2
My odometer has too few miles on it because the fuse for the speedometer kept blowing out -- it was a problem with the windshield wiper motor, which shares the fuse.
I want to reset the actual milage in case I have to bring the car in for engine warranty work.
How do I find the real miles, is that stored in the ECU ??
How do I reset the odometer ??
Thanks in advance, John
Homepage: http://www.care2.com/c2c/group/lnxsoc
It's illegal to tamper with an odometer. Huge, huge penalty.
How would the repair facility know the odometer hadn't been working and was incorrect?

It is legal to have them corrected though. This allows for dash units to be used from salvage yards by insurance companies, etc.

Precisely.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.netx
Mike Marlow wrote:

Besides which, it sounds like you've effectively extended your warranty by whatever miles weren't recorded. As the saying goes: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."
yeah, I noticed !! <-- not ALL that honest
But, if you have every brought a car in for warranty work, you will find that the dealership will look for any opportunity to void it.
That is why I want to set it right, to protect the big investment, the engine.
Car goes 130 mph with seductive stability-- I am worried I will blow the motor. If do that, I will definately be wanting them to give me a new one.
That is why I would like to get the correct miles recorded, but I have no clue if that is stored anywhere.
I drive big diesel trucks for chump change now and again, since I am finishing my degree. Their ECUs have an amazing amount of data stored, though I am not sure they store miles.
The older tiburon is a very pretty car, prettiest available for any money, IMHO.
By way of history, my previous cars were a chevy cavalier and dodge omni and an old-school chevy nova. I drove them for all for about 3 cents a mile plus fuel.
In comparison, these cheap american cars were actually far better built, having forged steering components, for instance. All the parts where more generously built, bearings stronger; the cars were far more forgiving to abuse.
If anybody knows where the tiburon hides her mileage.... thanks again
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How could they possibly know anything if you don't tell them?

Wait a minute here. You want "to protect the big investment", but you drive the car at 130 mph?! If that's the case, not only do you not deserve warranty coverage, but you don't deserve the privelege of driving a car! What the heck are you thinking??? Slow down before you kill someone!

There's nothing you can do about it.

I won't argue the priveledge to drive part, but the warranty? C'mon! Hyundai made a car that goes close to 140 MPH as a top speed without any modifications by the owner. Are you telling us that using the car as it was designed should void the warranty? That's like buying a computer that can process at 3.5 Ghz but only being allowed to use it at 1.0 Ghz.
Eric
On Thu, 25 May 2006 17:44:53 GMT, Brian Nystrom

Ever driven out west where it's really flat and a long way between places?
;-)
nothermark wrote:

Yes, I have. Nothing justifies driving 130 mph on public roads.

How about when you get a call at 2:00 AM that your premature baby, who is in the hospital, needs emergency life-or-death surgery and you need to be there NOW? And the hosptial is 45 minutes away at normal speeds?
It happened to me and I made the 45 minute trip in about 20 minutes. And that included the time it took to get pulled over at gun-point, explain my situation, and get an escort for the last 5 miles of the trip.
Yes, it really happened. And my daughter is 3 months old now and doing well.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

I'm glad to hear that you had a good outcome, but you could just as easily ended up in a smoking pile of wreckage on the side of the road. What would have happened to your daughter then? The smart move would have been to contact the authorities first.

Thanks.
I tried contacting the local authorities first. My township told me to call the NJ State Police. I did that. They told me they could not help me. What I did after that was high-tail it myself. I had my wife leave in her own car with instructions to drive "normal" and I would call her as soon as I got there, so if one of us did wind up in a wreck, the other would make it.
I used to race in SCCA competition so I have some experience with high speeds. I don't condone doing something like that unless it is an absolute last resort. In my mind, it was for me.
Another time I was able to avoid driving like that for an emergency. My Father took some pills, then called me to say "Goodbye". I hopped in my car at work and headed towards his house like a maniac, but then I realized that even driving like that would take me 1/2 hour to get there. I then wised up and called HIS local Police, who kept me on the phone while they and the ambulance responded. Luckily he DIDN'T actually take the pills.
Anyway, my point is that I can see times when drivng that fast might be necessary. I won't lie and say I've never done it for fun either, but that usually happens on an open Interstate on a Sunday morning.
Why would they make cars that can go that fast?
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

So they can climb hills and accelerate at a decent rate. If you sized the engine to have a top speed of 65 MPH, it would take you forever to get there and you'd be climbing hills at 15 MPH. The manufacturers can now limit speeds electronically and some cars do that. If idiots keep driving like you claim to, then the government will at some point make that decision for the car makers.
Matt

You talk like speed limiters are new. I seem to remember them being around, mechanical or electronic, for some time now :-)
I don't remember claiming to drive that fast on a regular basis. In fact, if anything I drive too slow on a regular basis. But you're right about the idiots. I see them day in and day out. I really don't see the government doing anything to the manufacturers. They make too much off the tickets to warrant that. They will probably implement more photo radar units. That way they can let the idiots drive as fast as they want and just mail them a ticket and make some money.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

OK, but I thought you were the one talking pretty cavalierly about driving 130 MPH on public roads. Maybe I got you confused with another poster.
Matt

No, Matt, you confused me with the OP.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

I'm glad to hear that.
Matt

So Matt, why in hell do you drive 130mph? Explain yourself!!!
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

I don't. Where did you get that idea?
Matt

We should treasure our idiots that take risks. We are a nation of descendants of risk-taking idiots.
I do not condone driving 130mph, but I defend anyone's right to do it... safely, on empty roads, of course. The Government has no right to protect us from our own stupidity, because the Government is more stupid than us. :)
--
Bob