Replacing old speedometer, how do I reset actual miles ??

Page 2 of 2
Bob Adkins wrote:

I'm not at all against taking risks. I ride motorcycles, fly airplanes, etc. It is wantonly placing others at risk that I object to and which is what was described here. You are confusing taking risks with being stupid.

Replace road above with track and I'm with you 100%.
Matt
Brian Nystrom wrote:

... having killed a family of six on the process. Driving like that was simply stupid.
Matt

Thanks again for your opinion. I would like to see what you would do in the same situation, but I don't wish that on anyone. But I can tell you that, with 99.9% confidence, you wouldn't do what you say you would do.
And I never did say it was smart. It was a last resort.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Actually, I've been in similar situations several times. Not identical, but similar. I worked as a logger for 5 years and made a few runs with victims of some nasty injuries (ever see what a chainsaw does to a limb?). I drove briskly, but rarely much exceeded the speed limit. And often the drive was an hour of dirt roads.
As an ambulance driver once told me, it doesn't do much good if you create a second accident while leaving the scene of the original accident.
Matt

Let me know how you make out when it is YOUR wife or child. I was an EMT in the late 80's myself. I never drove like that with anyone in my bus.
All I can say is you have no idea how you would react. And I hope you never have to.
Eric

I was an EMT back in the day when speed was the main lifesaving tool. We drove sleek, powerful station wagons and converted hurst's. We used to cross the Lake Pontchatrain causeway in as little as 15 minutes. We saved many lives, and nobody was ever hurt.
--
Bob

Eric G. wrote:

You performed surgery on your own daughter? I didn't realize you were a surgeon.
Matt

Ha! Far from it. They won't do it without a parent/guardian present on a baby. Even emergent care. They did intubate her without us, and also did a minor surgery to insert a central line, but further than that was not allowed at the hospital she was in without us. And that is even with a verbal on the phone from us to go ahead.
Eric

For those of us who are too CHICKEN (or too sensible) to open up the car, here is a nice little movie of an 06 Hyundai Sonata running from 0-133mph.
Direct link warning!
56K warning!
Enjoy!!!
http://www.trbf2.com/images/Sonata133MPH.avi
Have a lovely Memorial Day. Remember a Vet!
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

I fall into the second camp, but on a track it would be a hoot. Any idea which model Sonata this was? It seemed to accelerate too fast above 100 MPH to be a 4 cylinder, yet the shifting sounded like it was a standard shift, which isn't available with the V-6.
Matt

Ya, it was an 06 LX, with about 1500 on the odometer. I love the engine sound. The tranny sounds a lot better in that movie than it actually is. It sounds like it's shifting crisply, but that's deceptive.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Yes, I test drove a couple of V-6s and even shifting the auto in the manual mode it didn't sound like the one in the video which is what I was wondering about. Now, my 4 cylinder does sound more like that if I shift at 6 grand. :-)
Matt
My Sonata 2.7 V6 automatic 0-100 Km/h here
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2169141184193809467&q=hyundai+sonata
--
Zotto V6 Sonica driver
http://www.g2kweb.it/gigio2k/gallery.asp?gallery_dir=Upload/salvati/zotto/Zottomobile

It was a V6. With the pedal floored, it does sound a bit like a manual shift. Even more so if they were using the "manumatic" or whatever Hyundai calls it.
Eric