replacing oxygen sensor 99 accent

where are the oxygen sensors located.Have 66000 miles on the motor and they haven't been replaced.Any help would be appreciated

Reply to
Smooth Boi

motors don't have 02 sensors, engines do =-) no one can help ya out unless you tell us what car and year u have....

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
Jody

Are you getting an Check Engine light? O2 sensors aren't replaced based on time or mileage, only when they fail.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

thanks for the info.Yes the engine light is on,the gas mileage has dropped[despite tune up],and there's a strong smell of gasoline from the car.

Reply to
Smooth Boi

If you smell gasoline, it IS NOT the oxygen sensor. The difference from a bad oxygen sensor will show up on a HC analyzer. The PCM will not just start dumping gas into the cylinders. I'd suggest that you have someone knowledgeable look at the vehicle, and figure out where the gas leak is that's bad enough that it's affecting your mileage. It could be a leaky injector, or many other things. If you smell gasoline, you are literally sitting on a disaster waiting to happen.

Reply to
Bob

Agreed, with the additional comment that if there is a strong smell of gasoline, you should be able to see it. A car that is simply running rich does not smell like gasoline. The only thing that smells like gasoline is, well... gasoline - as in a leak.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Jody

Unbelievably, they - three of them - are required to be replaced on the 2006 Sonata at 45,000 mile intervals to the tune of $321 + labor unless you do it yourself. It is an emissions warranty requirement. I just found that little gem today on the Hyundai website.

It's not in the required maintenance section of the owners manual, so I don't know if they can actually enforce it.

Reply to
Bob

It's not in the required maintenance section of the owners manual, so I> don't know if they can actually enforce it.>

Man. That's a pain. I currently own my first Hyundai ('04 Sonata) and I like the car - should say my wife likes *her* car. I know this only applies to the'06, but it seems there's an increasing number of not-so-routine things being required by Hyundai to maintain the warranty. Some things I can understand, like the timing belt, although a chain would have made that a moot point. At some point though, the maintenance being mandated by Hyundai in order to keep the car under warranty coverage is going to hit the point that it's more expensive to keep the warranty up than to repair any other car.

O2 sensors should never be a warranty requirement. They don't fail at alarming rates in cars today and Hyundai should be able to put sensors in that are as reliable as any other manufacturer. In all of my years of driving cars that are equipped with O2 sensors, I have only had to replace one, and that was back in the early years.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I agree. I keep my maintence records in Excel and when I added in all of the Hyundai required items, the list was nearly twice as long as my Chevy truck and Dodge minivan. This 100,000 mile warranty may be a lot more costly than meets the eye.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

> It's not in the required maintenance section of the owners manual, so I > don't know if they can actually enforce it. Do all Sonata's have three or just the V-6? I have the 4 cylinder. Where do you see them having three? I didn't see the number mentioned.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting